• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

950G with Transmission Clutch Solenoid out of calibration

Monkeywithawrench

950G loader

Serial # 3JW00985

Customer bought this machine used back in December. ECM had been replaced, but the current hours weren't programmed onto the ECM. Trans ECM showed a little under 4k hrs.

I had plugged into this machine back in December, no logged codes, no active codes. Now all of the Transmission clutches need calibration.

I have ET and I bought a Click Box.............I just can't find the procedure in 'Testing and Adjusting' for calibrating the clutches.

I attached a product status report for your viewing pleasure.

Thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• 950 G PRODUCT STATUS REPORT.pdf
    229.7 KB · Views: 6

Monkeywithawrench

Try fixing the problem of the downshift button Active Code first. See if the -13 Codes change at all.
You have to fix it either way because the transmission will not shift correctly.
FIRST I need to replace the switch. 158-5626......seems to be missing some parts in the handle!!LOL

Machine is 2 hours away........one way........from me. I try and get all of my ducks in a row before heading out to them.

A couple of odd things about this machine. So it's 24 years old, but only has 4k hours on it?? Weird.
Machine came from Canada, then sold via auction (Iron Planet) here in US last year. Then my customer bought it.

Last week I had CAT run the serial number looking for oil sample history via SOS. At first they didn't find anything. I had explained on my first call that it was a Canadian machine and asked whether SOS had a US division and Canada was seperate. They didn't know. Second round of phone calls..........YES, SOS Canada is separate from US. Got hits on previous sample history. So repair history and oil sample history show 67,299H from March 18th, 2020.

I had talked with the dealer in Quebec, Canada who sold this machine when new. They had an ECM snapshot from 2020 showing the engine ECM had 3700 +/- H on it. The dealer and I tried to figure it out..........no records of rebuild, major work, etc. The machine looked really good for that age. Hoses looked to be original and in good shape, not hard and cracked. Pedal wear from daily operations was not significant.........certainly doesn't show wear on the pedals or floor mat for 67k H. Overall appearance of machine DOES NOT indicate 67k H on it. Either somebody dropped the decimal point on the hour meter and it has 6729.9 hours.........or they recorded Kilometers instead of hours?? But that would be something like 30+ Kilometers per hour going by the trans ECM hours recorded.

The engine ECM was replaced either before auction or after. But hours not set to match old ECM, I can only go off trans ECM for hours. New ECM showing 118H at present.

So when I had plugged into this back in December.....I had no Logged or Active codes shown on ET. And I forgotten to do a Status report.

Logged Diagnostic Codes [Diagnostic Clock = 3796 hours] - Transmission 950
Code Description Occ. First Last
621- 3 Downshift Switch : Voltage Above Normal 1 61628 61628

So trans ECM logged codes........Diagnostic clock shows 3796H..........one logged code 621-3 Downshift switch
First 61628
Last 61628

Every other logged code references the current hours on the trans ECM.

So, oh wise sage.........any epiphanies to share on how and why some codes say 61k H and others say 3796H??

And, as always; THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH WITH ALL YOUR HELP!! From me and everyone else you help out.

Attachments

• 950G old oil sample reports.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Either somebody dropped the decimal point on the hour meter and it has 6729.9 hours
I think you are correct. Someone dropped the decimal point. Take a look at the S/N plates for the engine and transmission and see if they line up with what's on SIS - 55K04676 & 2XY01819. If the total machine hours were 67K there is little chance the eng/trans would be original. Somewhere along the line there would have been a catastrophic failure resulting in the installation of a different S/N of component.

See where this gets you. TBH I would do the T&A for transmission pressures first. Maximum clutch pressures will be independent of clutch fill times so it will give you a good guide to the tranny condition. Then if everything is in spec go on to the clutch fill calibrations.

Attachments

• Trans Clutch Calibration.pdf
    325.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Trans Pressures T&A.pdf
    575.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Fill time Calibrate.pdf
    229.3 KB · Views: 1

Monkeywithawrench

No plate on the frame..........just the stamped serial number.

You can buy a blank plate and then fill out (stamp it) yourself. CAT won't supply the plate stamped with the info.

Thanks for the info, Nige!! I appreciate you taking the time to look all my drivel over.

As for the machine, runs good, no blow by from the engine, all the joints are tight...........I was honestly very hesitant to give my thumbs up on the purchase........no history, ECM replaced no current hours, etc.

Doing the digging I did...........seemed ok to buy. Been a good machine so far.