• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

953C BBX fuel issues, error codes and troubleshooting

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
So my baby is sick and I need some help. The warning light (!) is flashing, stage one warning - just the light.

Backstory -

I changed the fuel filter and it sat for a few days. Cranked it up to move it across the site and the light started flashing. Plugged the computer to it and there was a "fuel pressure" warning code logged. ( I had a friend come over with the software as I do not have it). Pulled the sensor out of the fuel line that runs to the primary fuel filter and put a gauge on it. It read 100 PSI at full throttle, I do not have the info on what the PSI should be.

I changed the fuel filter again, pulled the plug at the base of the primary filter and flushed it out with the electric primer. I also broke the fuel line from the primary filter base that runs to the top of the engine - flushed it again. Plenty of fuel is making it to and through the primary filter, however I was not able to flush the line that runs to the top of the engine.

After I did this I was thinking it probably was a bad fuel sensor. This sensor is mounted in the line running from the fuel pump to the primary filter base. I changed this sensor and the (!) warning light is still flashing.

3995.5 hours on the clock.

Questions -

Is there another sensor in the fuel line? I have looked through my parts manual and didn't see anything.

After looking through the parts book there is a fuel regulator mounted where the main fuel line that goes from the primary filter into the top of the engine, at least that's what the schematic shows. I am not sure what it's function is.

My worst fear is the fuel pump is going out.

The filters are changed every 250 hours and all fuel that goes into the loader is filtered from my slip tank. I run a fuel additive as well and I try to keep my fuel as clean as possible.

Any help would be appreciated. I am not mechanically inclined, my skills encompass the user end of yellow iron.:eek:

Bob/Ont

If you have access to ET it should have a screen that gives you engine readings, look for fuel pressure "actual" and "desired"
Have no manuals but might get near some tomorrow, I trust the letters above are serial# prefix.
Later Bob

kbeen

CM1955 you can jumper the sensor wires accross if it is a 2 wire sensor and the light should go out. if it still does not then it could be either the wiring up to the monitor in the cab or the monitor itself. good luck.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks Bob. Yes this is a 953C BBX serial number series.

Kbeen it's a 3 wire sensor and I have already changed out that one. The 953C's don't have a monitor just a set of warning lights.

Bob/Ont

Thanks Bob. Yes this is a 953C BBX serial number series.

Kbeen it's a 3 wire sensor and I have already changed out that one. The 953C's don't have a monitor just a set of warning lights.

Your fuel pressure is GOOD, manual says 66PSI but you checked at high idle and they some times refer to full load values, that would be lower due to amount of fuel being burned. To check the wiring, get a RED tool to release wires from their connector, Get a couple they are plastic and can break. Then you can replace the wire if broken. Check for continuity from socket #16 on the engine ECM connector to the signal wire at the sender's plug on the harness. I think the wire is 991 pink. If it's bad you can get the dealer to crimp a couple of ends onto a length of wire and then tie it onto the harness. That's were you need the tool, to get ends out of connectors.
Later Bob

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
CM, can you find out exactly what the Code is/was..? These codes refer to the Electronic Control to which the component "talks", the Component itself, and the Failure Mode.

For a Fuel Pressure Sensor in the Engine Control the Code should look something like MID 036 (Engine Control), CID 0289 (or 0460 depending if the sensor is before or after the filter), FMI 01 or 02 or something like that. Get me the Code that's active on your machine and I'll find you a procedure to troubleshoot it using nothing more than a voltage/resistance tester.

Lee-online

There is a check valve and fitting on the back of the head where the fuel exits. These either break, jamb or get clogged with a peice of debris. When this happens you get high fuel pressure and this faul light. I have seen this twice myself. Remove the check and the elbow and flush the head with the primer pump.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Bob, that's what we did today. Made a jumper from the fuel pressure sensor by the primary (I said secondary early but i was wrong, I got the fuel-water separator and primary backwards) and plugged it in. Threw an oil pressure warning. The blue and brown wires (if I remember correctly) also somehow feeds power or signal to the oil pressure sensor. Spliced those two into the jumper ( I have not cut or altered the factory wiring harness) and the oil pressure warning went off. However it is still showing a warning light - I'll be back into to it tomorrow and will get the code.

Nige the two codes I wrote down were 036 and 94.03. The sensor I changed is before the primary filter after the fuel pump. Could it be the wiring harness? I hope it's not that but I am thinking it may be. Thanks for your help and input Nige.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Lee I was posting when you replied. Is this check valve located where the fuel line enters the head? I saw in the parts book there is a fuel pressure regulator located where the fuel line enters the head at the front of the engine, which would be the rear of the machine. In this area there is an accumulation of oily dirt/dust. I followed the fuel line to this location but it's hard to see anything without taking the rear engine enclosure/hood off.

I am just thinking that when I changed the primary filter some trash may have gotten into the filter base. I try to be as clean as possible when doing a service but things happen. The reason being is this code appeared after I changed the filter.

This is a BBX 700-800 serial range. Thank you for your help Lee.

Last edited:

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
CM, your Code makes perfect sense. MID036 is the Engine Control, CID094 is the "Fuel Delivery Pressure Sensor", & FMI03 is "voltage above normal" - in other words open/shorted to battery +.

There is a generic troubleshooting procedure for this fault for any engine sensor. It's far too long to post here so if you want it please let me know. It's sitting on my desktop as an Adobe pdf file ready to e-mail to you.

I can't remember if I ever sent you the Electrical Schematic previously for your machine. If not please PM me an e-mail address and I will fire it off to you at the same time. I will need your exact Serial Number though, there are 3 possible options for different S/N ranges.

And now - in the word of the famous ring announcer - Good Fight - Good Night ...........

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
CM, your Code makes perfect sense. MID036 is the Engine Control, CID094 is the "Fuel Delivery Pressure Sensor", & FMI03 is "voltage above normal" - in other words open/shorted to battery +.

There is a generic troubleshooting procedure for this fault for any engine sensor. It's far too long to post here so if you want it please let me know. It's sitting on my desktop as an Adobe pdf file ready to e-mail to you.

I can't remember if I ever sent you the Electrical Schematic previously for your machine. If not please PM me an e-mail address and I will fire it off to you at the same time. I will need your exact Serial Number though, there are 3 possible options for different S/N ranges.

And now - in the word of the famous ring announcer - Good Fight - Good Night ...........

Thanks a bunch Nige!:drinkup PM sent.

Lee-online

The check valve is called the REGULATOR GP-FUEL PRESSURE. On some engines it is on the front and on some its on the rear of the engine according to parts pictures but i have only seen it on the rear. Its function is to maintain fuel pressure in the head to supply the injectors. It also stops the head from draining when the machine is shut off.

I dont know the range of the pressure sensor but if it maxes out then due to the clogged check then it would show it as a fault, probably a short to batt.

Attachments

• check valve.png
    check valve.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 710

Bob/Ont

Bob, that's what we did today. Made a jumper from the fuel pressure sensor by the primary (I said secondary early but i was wrong, I got the fuel-water separator and primary backwards) and plugged it in. Threw an oil pressure warning. The blue and brown wires (if I remember correctly) also somehow feeds power or signal to the oil pressure sensor. Spliced those two into the jumper ( I have not cut or altered the factory wiring harness) and the oil pressure warning went off. However it is still showing a warning light - I'll be back into to it tomorrow and will get the code.

Nige the two codes I wrote down were 036 and 94.03. The sensor I changed is before the primary filter after the fuel pump. Could it be the wiring harness? I hope it's not that but I am thinking it may be. Thanks for your help and input Nige.

This is just General Interest here for you guys and everyone else that is following the topic. If you have a three wire sensor you can check the wiring and gauge or whatever it's hooked to with a Position Sensor. They will run the readout through it's range when you dial it full up and full down. If the gauge or moniter sweeps good the sensor is bad.
Later Bob

Lee-online

We use potentiometers ( from paver screeds) manipulate the inputs to the ecm. Example, you need 140Deg to run a calibration. Unplug the sensor and dial it so you get the reading you want.

Bob/Ont

We use potentiometers ( from paver screeds) manipulate the inputs to the ecm. Example, you need 140Deg to run a calibration. Unplug the sensor and dial it so you get the reading you want.

Right on Lee. More should know this.
Later Bob

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Thanks Lee. That is not the one I was thinking of, will check it today. I know which one that is.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
thanks for all the replies. i had an accident that set me back a while last friday. the problem was a plugged fuel line don't know which one as i was away from the site due to the ER visit.:rolleyes: all is good just have one hand to type with for a couple of weeks.:cool: the loader is working fine no codes, although i haven't had the opportunity to run it other than it being stationary at full throttle.

thanks again for the help and all the comments and suggestions have been stored away in my noggin' for future reference.:D

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Loader has had no codes thrown until today. I have a 30 and a 0324.05. Only two codes show up.