• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955-12A rear leaking

rditz

I have a 955-12A1739 track loader. while working yesterday, I noticed a trail of fluid on the ground every so often. i checked the rearend and found that there was a hole (threaded) packed with dirt. I fished around and all of sudden, GUSH. Oil poured out of there for a short time.. I thought that there should be a plug there as it is threaded.

I went to the other side and found the same thing. a hole packed with dirt and when I poked around it drained oil out as well.

I shut the machine down and went to check my manual.. here is my problem, my book doesn't look like the rear in the tractor.

Serial # of rear is 7U40773.

I checked the transmissiona and it is over filled (from previous owner).. is it possible that i am leaking from the trans into (what i think is brake compartments) and these holes are there as drainage??

can anyone confirm if there should be plugs in these locations??

thanks

rod

buckfever

there was a previous thred with a international 175. would do the same thing but he had the plugs in and the brakes got a oil bath. sounds like you have a seal leaking into the brake compartment and the previous owner pulled the plugs to save the brake packs.

td25c

It sounds like the 95512A used the dry steering clutch & brake system.I dont know,never worked on one.Allot of older tractors did and it was common to crawl under one & see the plugs removed on both sides.If this is the case then like buckfever has mentioned,your seals are leaking a little at the ring gear bearings.I'd get the oil level right on the transmission & rear frame and leave the plugs out of the steering clutch compartments .Probably just a slow leak any way.Depends on how much you use it wither to tear in to it to replace the seals.A buddy of mine had a IH td20 that had the dry type clutches.Plugs were out on it,only problem was the left side steering clutch was stuck from the dozer sitting most of the time.He called me & said he wanted it fixed.I put a plug on the left side that had the stuck clutch & filled the compartment half full with diesel fuel.After a few days it broke loose & we drained the fuel out .

Old Magnet

The common fix for the drain plugs was to drill a 1/4 in. hole in the center and install a 3/16 in. dia. cotter pin so that it would act as a wiggler to keep it clear yet have the big hole and threads covered.