• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955-12A Tilt Cylinder

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Hercules seals, they have a ad/link on this site some times, should be able to help!

rditz

rebuilding cylinders

How hard is this to do?? I have to have the tilt cylinders rebuilt on my 955-12A and wondered if this was something I could do, or should i have it done by a shop?

thanks

rod

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Thanks, I have left them a message

They will get back quickly!

How hard is this to do?? I have to have the tilt cylinders rebuilt on my 955-12A and wondered if this was something I could do, or should i have it done by a shop?

thanks

rod

This is a topic debated on this forum many times, with both sides vaid points!
i am a heavy equipment mecainic so i do this on a regular basis, just today infact:D
It can be done if you have a bit of mechanical knowledge and a few heavy duty tools and brute force!

Not sure of your type of cylinders, but if you take a few photos of them we will talk you through the process!:drinkup

CPS

rditz

CPS,

thanks for your replies... I alos belong to ACMOC forum and a couple of guys there indicated that the nuts on the end of the piston is on at an extreme torque setting (680 ftlbs.) I don't think I can undo or retighten to that level...

I have the mechanical ability, i think, as I have the service manuals and the process seems very doable... but my manuals do not have a torque setting for those nuts.

what would you say they are??

thanks

rod

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Well im in the middle of building a bench for un doing these type of nut, il be posting pics when (sorry if) it is finished!

You can un them 680 ftIbs anit massive, if you have a socket big enough, and a long pipe for a cheater bar, and some thing to hold the end of the rod (eye end)
mark the nut on the rod and re tighten to this mark, or i little over it use loc tite and you should be fine!

CPS

bunkclimber

Baum Iron Works in Omaha,Nebraska
baumhydraulics.com
402-345-4122
all the cylinder seal kits you'll ever need

koldsteele

Occupation
Owner Heavy Equipment Mechanic
CPS,

thanks for your replies... I alos belong to ACMOC forum and a couple of guys there indicated that the nuts on the end of the piston is on at an extreme torque setting (680 ftlbs.) I don't think I can undo or retighten to that level...

I have the mechanical ability, i think, as I have the service manuals and the process seems very doable... but my manuals do not have a torque setting for those nuts.

what would you say they are??

thanks

rod
I new here so bare with me ..I've been in the equipment repair for 30 years and i learned a fairly easy way to remove them god awful tight piston nuts from cylinders..On my service truck i have a vice that i dog the rod down to and then using a 4 foot pipe wrench i take my loader and push down on it with the bucket...aint had one yet i couldn't move ..I been studying on puttin a pipe in the ground and concrete around it to keep everything lower to the ground ..Hope this helps Bill

QuickTrax

I use Hercules a lot. The Hercules part# according to my catalog for the 12A1-up is BD-507166. You should have a 5" bore and a 2" rod. I would confirm these measurements before ordering anything.
Thanks, Quicktrax