• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955 cat lift cylinder has cracking at back end

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
its seems the the lift ram is cracking where it is welded too the rear pin housing , the crack is about 1" long, i tried welding "arc" it when the ram was rebuilt but it cracked in another spot about 3" away from first weld, could i possibly gas braze the the crack, its leaking some what when bucket is off the ground, ram has new bushings thanks anthony

sawmilleng

Fest,
Did the cracking start after the cylinder was rebuilt and reinstalled back in the machine?

I'm wondering if the new bushings might be the culprits, especially if they are a close fit on the pins. If the two cylinder pins aren't dead nuts parallel when everything is assembled, there will be some HUGE bending forces generated as the cylinder is extended or retracted and the pin tries to rotate in the bores.
To check this out isn't an easy job as you will have to pull the cylinder back out of the machine. You would then get a couple of rods the same size as the pins and about 3 feet long. Put one in each end of the cylinder eyes, centered, and level them both with a good high precision level. Then measure from rod to rod at each end and see if the measurements are the same. If they are, the rod end centerlines are parallel. If not, then you might have some fixing to do, especially if the measurements are out by a lot.
You should do the same checking on the pin bores in the machine frame and the lift arms to ensure they are also parallel to each other. I'm not sure how easy this will be given the tight clearances where those pinholes live.

If this all started with the installation of the new bushings, they could have been machined with the ID's out of line with the OD's--I can't see that with OEM or good quality repair parts but if they were made by someone who may have been careless when machining the bushings the bores could have been machined out of line with the bushing OD's.

I might have my head up my butt with this theory but don't ask me how I know about pins and misalignment!! The tip of my left FU finger is a little shorter because of misaligned bores on a Hyundai 290 hydraulic thumb!! :eek::p.

Jon.

fest777

Occupation
opp/mecanix
the barrel was cracked before the rebuild , i follow you on the alignment , like when you line bore the bucket bushings, iam not the best welder thats prolly the reason for the re cracking

Cat977

Occupation
Machinist/Millwright
I'm no Welder but possibly some preheating, post heat, then a heat blanket for the cooldown. A wild ass guess would be 500F. A heat crayon is handy. Bobs right you need to get rid of all of the crack or it just restarts.