• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

955K drive questions/ suggestions

wagspe208

OK, I have a 955K. 85J4318. The brakes are near the end of adjustment. Seems to run good. No real issues.
So, I am not scared of putting in the brake bands/ pads. I will check steering clutches while in there (duh).
Anything else I should do?
When operating, when I apply a brake, should pressure (speed) increase to other track? Or is that on new hydro stuff?
Are there o rings to check/ springs to check, pressures to check?
Again, it runs ok, but that doesn't mean when it is all apart that I don't want to fix any issues.
Thanks
Wags

Plus, while tanks, etc are off this would be a great time to steam clean, and paint all the stuff to make it 40 year old pretty. HA

wagspe208

When I had the belly pan off, I went ahead and heli-coiled the holes that were stripped, antiseized them, etc. I just want to do stuff right.
Wags

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
Do it once and do it right and be done with it is how i go about things. Seems if i cut 1 corner it haunts me for life... So i dont. And in the long run its cheaper to do it right.

wagspe208

Talked to a guy to get it hauled from the property to the house (shop). Probably will have it here this week.
I am not trying to make it new.... just pretty good for old. HA
I will keep you all posted if anyone is interested.
Wags

So, when I remove the main gear assembly, (I assume it has to come out to replace the brake/ band?), will I have to reset gear backlash, or do I just drop it back in place?

wagspe208

Oh, and is this undercarriage the same as a dozer... D4 or something... so I could search more info?
Thanks
Wags

grandpa

Brake's can be replaced (if my memory serve's me here) with out taking the belly out of the beast, Should be able to replace them thru the brake access cover. They should be a two piece shoe thats bolted together. Some one with better memory step in here please. Gramps

wagspe208

Brake's can be replaced (if my memory serve's me here) with out taking the belly out of the beast, Should be able to replace them thru the brake access cover. They should be a two piece shoe thats bolted together. Some one with better memory step in here please. Gramps
Oh, that would be AWESOME!
There really don't seem to be any issue with this machine. Brake almost out of adjustment on the right side. I think it tossed 1 shoe off the band. I had them adjusted equal, then one day it got tight, then way free pedal.
Takes a couple minutes to move when cold. This could be filter screen. Also could be 30 wt oil for lube.
It needs some more helicoils, couple gauges, etc. Nothing major. I have the gauges. I resealed the leaking cyls. UC is decent to pretty decent. It could use the pins turned, but for what I do, not worth it. I don't use it 50 hours a year.
That would same me a bunch of work.
Wags

Bob/Ont

That is what I thought. Was hoping not. Oh well...
Thanks
Wags
Be sure to take lots of pic's, luck digital can't be developed backwards. It will help you get the bevel gear back on the proper side of the pinion. Pay close attention to the release bearings, their cages and the yoke pins/screws. If you change the bearings be sure to install them the right way. Thrust sides back into the cage and up against the nut. Otherwise they will pull apart.
Later Bob

toddcat955L

wagspe208, If I may ask,Did U get new break band assem, or just lining & rivets,and if so were they EXTREMELY EXPENSIVE ? THANKS

wagspe208

I have not orderd them yet. I will just get the linings and rivets. I "hear" they are less than 100 a side. (will order when I get them out)
American Crane and Tractor has good prices on cat aftermarket stuff. They have quality from autozone junk to pretty damn good. I bought my cylinder seal kits, bushings, etc from them.
I was searching and was surpirsed how cheap they were. I am just a hobby use guy, so no need for cat brand.
Wags

toddcat955L

Thanks 4 info, Please keep update if U put new break bands on , Iam going 2 replace the set in my unit also, when weather breaks a bit.Like 2 here how yours goes!
CAT wanted $400 and some change, 4 lining and rivets, $2400 for complete band & lining assem.Cant go that route! Belive Ill check with AC&T 4 prices, as u were saying.THANKS

wagspe208

I am just waiting for + freezing temp to have it moved to the shop (house).
I am doing it.
I am about 35miles from St. Louis in Waterloo, IL. I see you are in MO
Wags

Maurice Muenks

Occupation
Owner of an independant heavy equiptment repair bu
While you are that far and if doing it your self make sure that you check the backlash before you pull cross shaft and set it back to that measurement otherwise it will whine because you disturbed the pattern. Also pull the final drive pioions and reseal them. Hope you don't open a can of worms.

Maurice

toddcat955L

I guess I have to open up that same can of worms! I too need to install new break bands and clutches.{wagspe208** please keep posted your progress. And pics, it may be a big help if the worms start coming out of the can. And with my luck they probably will. In fact if anyone has a how-to video that would be great! But it's got a be done only thing to do is jump right in and get her done. It would be nice if you could just take it to a Caterpillar dealer and have them do it and bring it back, and that can't happen. Good luck {wagspe208 **

BCOWANWHEELS

Occupation
semi retired and angus cattle farmer
If i buy this 955l i,ve been looking at i,am gonna be doing the same as you fellas. Might as well get it all up to snuff while i,am doing the u/c work. Least this way i know i can depend on it when i need it for the rest of my life no more than i,ll use it and if its in top shape it should be easyer to sell when i,am done with it. Make sure you fellas keep all paper work and pictures for documentation. Just my thoughts
bob

wagspe208

Mine comes home tomorrow. So, I bet I beat you guys to ripping it apart.
Fuel tank, batt box, hyd. tank, will be off by Sunday night (hopefully)
Wags

wagspe208

While you are that far and if doing it your self make sure that you check the backlash before you pull cross shaft and set it back to that measurement otherwise it will whine because you disturbed the pattern. Also pull the final drive pioions and reseal them. Hope you don't open a can of worms.

Maurice
Is this the pinion between the final and the trans, or the pinion to the outer drive actually?
Thanks
Wags

Bob/Ont

Is this the pinion between the final and the trans, or the pinion to the outer drive actually?
Thanks
Wags

The bevel gear and pinion is what you need to adjust, move bevel gear side to side and check in 4 places. Tooth patern is changed by moving the pinion in and out, you don't touch this.
Later Bob