• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

963C Final failure pic's

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
Just bought the machine, and was said that it wouldnt steer :rolleyes:

anyone know where to buy a used final or aftermarket final parts? the only thing I could find aftermarket was planet gears and I kinda need more than that lol

I have 963c's with 14k hours on them and havent suffered a final failure, I would guess a cowboy operator and ripper is a bad combo.

Oh, and a Used final is $8k

Pj

Attachments

• DSC02183.JPG
    DSC02183.JPG
    145.1 KB · Views: 2,010
  • DSC02182.JPG
    DSC02182.JPG
    147.4 KB · Views: 2,010
  • DSC02181.JPG
    DSC02181.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 1,999
  • DSC02180.JPG
    DSC02180.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 2,001
  • DSC02179.JPG
    DSC02179.JPG
    150.3 KB · Views: 2,010

cps

Occupation
plant mechanic
Nasty looking!
I was thinking a few bearings might sort you out, til i seen the sun gear!

And other gears and cogs

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Nasty looking!
I was thinking a few bearings might sort you out, til i seen the sun gear!

And other gears and cogs

Yep that I saw that destroyed sun gear on the shaft as well. That's some messed up components.

powerjoke

Occupation
lol trashed aint it.

from what I can figure, the two bearings on one of the planets went and then it allowed the sun to come out of mesh with the other 2 plantes and started a nasty chain of events. not real sure as to why the sun gear has the center of the splines worn.......musta been the trash running through it?

Pj

powerjoke

Occupation
I forgot to add,

I am a little nervous about not tearing down the rest of the unit clear to the speed reducer and cleaning and inspecting, but my plan as of now is to power wash it down real good, put it back together, fill it with deisel lift the tracks off the ground with the ripper/bucket and give 'er a spin for a minute or so then drain, Figured I would repeat the process till fuel is clean, maybe even change the oil a couple of times during the first day of operation.

Pj

Burnout

Occupation
Operator at Sureway Construction
Hmmm that looks quite familiar. We had 4 973C's with less than 800hrs all have the exact same failure, that was a bad batch of finals and was all covered by Cat. How many hours on that unit?

powerjoke

Occupation
theres 7500hrs on this one. probably not the case here but good thinking tho

Pj

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I forgot to add,

I am a little nervous about not tearing down the rest of the unit clear to the speed reducer and cleaning and inspecting, but...

You do realize...that's one of those little questions that'll nag at you until you go insane. :Banghead :yup

Tigerotor77W

Occupation
Engineer
Sorry to let you down with another post that isn't directing you at an answer, but what was it like when that final went? Did it "feel" different or did that track not spin at all?

powerjoke

Occupation
lol, that's fine Tigerotor

The left track just went dead,.....it would catch and pull itself for about a foot or so but you would have to roll 20 feet for it to happen.

Pj

tctractors

I have done a few of these back casing jobs on 963B/C shovels, I always brake the track, it's only a few bolts, and strip the rim off the Dead shaft, in the hub is 2 fine tread pulling holes to draw the hub off the shaft, if you hit and bang at the sprocket you may damage the bearings, it all goes back together simple enough but also check the spocket for cracking where the segments bolt to the stepped edge, they crack in the step.
Spend a load of Coins on parts without checking for other damage or Shrapnel floating about is not sounding to good to me, plus it looks like those rotating parts have been running in sweat rather than Oil.

hoping things go well for you. tctractors

powerjoke

Occupation
haha i just ran across this thread and forgot i posted it.

read this thread, It'll all make since, as to why the machine was a little more damaged than it was supposed to be.

and yeah that loader arm is/was broke :rolleyes: but we had it X-Rayed and rewelded etc. and it's fine now.....hopefully

Pj