• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

966C caterpillar Hydraulic leak on shutdown.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Finally had a chance to locate the leak. It is at the final connection for the return line from the left lift cylinder. Been too cold for me to do anything about it but at least i know where to start now.
Not sure what you are calling the "return line form left lift cylinder" or do you mean the line that goes to the head of the lift cylinder?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
966C hydraulic lines.png

Not sure if this will help but this should be the page out of the parts book for the lines to the lift cylinders of you machine.

Talon12

Not sure what you are calling the "return line form left lift cylinder" or do you mean the line that goes to the head of the lift cylinder?
It's not a return line, forgot it's not my Farmall 966. Been too cold for me to do anything. After 50+ years in the Oilfield, my fingers have been frozen so many times that I have limited feeling in them, have to be careful not to let it go too far. I'm surprised I haven't lost any yet. I drop tools a lot, can't feel them very well. Toilet paper is the worst, not sure what is going on there sometimes! Lol
The Hydraulic line is the one that goes to the Far left/upper port on the Hydraulic tank...front/forward side. The leak is at the union, between the Pivot and the Transmission. I found a home made brace/Bracket lying under it with a bolt through it, the bolt that should be in the union. I'm not sure what the brace is for but I suspect it is to eliminate flex in the Hydraulic Hose/line from the Pivot action. I am going to try to attach a couple pictures of it.

Attachments

• hyd1.jpg
    hyd1.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 5
  • hyd2.jpg
    hyd2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5

Talon12

Sounds like you're on to it, the help on this site is priceless. If nothing else the guru's on here will talk you in off the ledge and that usually gets you to a solution in the end.
It was a particularly ugly winter here, almost doubling the effort needed to do something like this. I do not have a shop big enough for it so it is frozen fingers one more time. The ice and snow are gone, I have gotten most of the feeling back in my fingers. I'm checking the torque on that in a little while and going to work. barring numerous visits by Murphy, I should be able to complete the second part of my project and start building up the infrastructure again. The State Dot collapsed my septic drain field, ruined my main runoff drainage and a couple of other things. To add insult to injury, they are trying to avoid paying for about 30 Prime Rocky Mountain Junipers that were not on the Right of way. I have 4 different types of pictures, including Google earth. This is one time they are going to pay.

Talon12

View attachment 281539

Not sure if this will help but this should be the page out of the parts book for the lines to the lift cylinders of you machine.
The diagram was helpful once I turned it upside down! Lol I was looking at the overall system upside down in the beginning, that was the only way I could see it all at once. I added 4 very bright LED lights......now I can go into town and crush cars at night! Lol Thanks a lot guys!