• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977l serial number tag location

precision dirt

Occupation
machinist, fabricator and owner of precision dirt
hey guys, need some help finding a serial # tag on my 977L, i cant find it in the normal places i would expect it to be and no evidence of tag being removed either. Engine tag is in place but im after a machine and arrangement numbers. Is there any place that i could have missed it and if tag has been removed how can serial # be found?

Old Magnet

If it's an early machine (D330c) engine it won't have arrangement numbers.
S/n tags on rear face of the bevel gear case, lower RH of dash and LH side of cylinder block.
Early s/n's should all match.

precision dirt

Occupation
theres also a tag in cab lower right hand side under loader controls thas has
977L, / 2004 / 3p1440
engine 3306 / 8461 / 2p6804
my nearest dealer says these numbers dont show anything to them, i was expecting to find a 11x or 14x prefix somewhere. Any help will greatly appreciated

Old Magnet

49V9401 belongs to a 977L 48Jxxxx s/n UK machine built between 1971-1978
The cab tag 2P6804 engine arrangement is for a 977L USA machine s/n 11K5083 to 11K17378
I don't have info to pin point the year build of 48J machine. Maybe Nige can supply that info.

precision dirt

Occupation
OK so by my research cat changed the finals in 1970 beginning with serial 11k03687 so that answers that question for me, feel free to correct me if im wrong. Im guessing the engine was replaced some time in tractors life or is that just location of manufacture?

Old Magnet

OK so by my research cat changed the finals in 1970 beginning with serial 11k03687 so that answers that question for me, feel free to correct me if im wrong. Im guessing the engine was replaced some time in tractors life or is that just location of manufacture?
Yes, pretty safe bet the engine has been changed and your dealing with an 11Kxxxx unit.
A little closer, 11K5083-6440 s/n with 2P6804 engine arrangement spans 1973-1974.

Last edited:

precision dirt

Occupation
Magnet, Nige thanks so much for the help guys. Helped me out a lot. I'll take this old iron over the new stuff any day..... Hell, most of it is well older than me.

precision dirt

Occupation
One more question. I just read that only 14x machines had larger finals. But other info says cat "modified finals" beginning with 11k03687. Can someone clarify for me?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
There are a number of Service Mags on 977 11X Final Drives. I think this is the one you are most likely referring to ...........

Description of Change: New, wider gears are used in the final drives of 977L Loaders (14X1951-Up). The new gears and pinions also have an improved tooth profile (shape), and a new gear hub is used with more bolts to hold the bull gear. The number of gear-to-hub bolts is increased from eighteen to twenty-seven. New final drive cases are used with the new gears and pinions. These improvements will extend the service life of the final drives.

Adaptable To: The new parts, used together, are adaptable to 977L and 977K Loaders 14X1-1950 and 11K1-Up. It is not necessary to install the new parts in both final drives at the same time, but conversion of one side only will cause some difference in straight line travel (movement) of the machine. There is approximately a 3% difference in the gear ratio between the new and former gears and pinions.

precision dirt

Occupation
Thanks Nige. I've always read that early machines had d6 finals and later had a d7 final. Was just trying to figure out what I have.