• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

977l steering

BUFORD

1973 977l been setting 10 months all was fine now right hand steering clutch not working i figure it is something simple-thanks for any help.

bunkclimber

Buford,first thing to check,do you have pressure on the steer valve?,there should be a 1/8"pipe port there to check pressures-the steer pedals linkage connect to this valve..its under the seat on top of the bevel gear box. if not check pump for blockage or damage, check bevel gear box(rear of tractor) fluid level..you do have TDTO oil(fluid) in the thing right?..the steer pressure is directed from the pump flow thru the valve when you use the steer pedals to steer,the pressure is directed down into the bevel gear box to a steer clutch piston which moves the clutch piston out to steer with(disengages clutches to steer) you may have a blown steer piston seal, total PITA to repair, I pull rops off, have to pull operator station(seat controls,hyd tank,etc) off rear of loader, open up bevel gear box via two top covers, unbolt from clutch flange and pull offending non steering side clutch pack out, (TIP:easier to do with 15/16"ratcheting box wrench)and youll need a 2-5/8"socket to take the locknut off the tapered shaft.use Cat push/pull hydraulic tool to pull clutch cylinder assy off cross shaft,its a tapered splined shaft,per Bob it needs about 20T to break it free,then replace clutch piston seal, lube it, press it back on tapered spline shaft with Cat push/pull tool,takes like 20T to press back on..then put it all back together..while you are in there replacing the seal its a good idear to replace the cross shaft bearings..when they go out or develop wear or looseness the cross shaft wobble takes out the steer piston seals this is what is probably happened in your machine..a good ol Cat man 'Bob-Ont' from Canada (RIP)-filled me in on this issue before he passed-that happens to many 977;s-the K's and L's..there was a service bulletin on this issue they upgraded the cross shaft bearings and holders in the 977Ls but it still happens to a lot of em as they are gettin old..the piston seal is a PTFE lip seal from what I remember..I havent done mine in 5yrs I do remember it was a PITA..
Bob told me 'fix it once fix it right,she'll last a good long time'

BUFORD

Thanks for the informative reply to4 30 in trans. Appreciate your help.