• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

980G

Truck Shop

Question for you Cat loader guy's. Besides many hours, what causes the steering to start a rapid oscillation/twitch?
I'm not going to repair it-had to use/operate a 980G this week that had that issue, very annoying.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
TS. it would depend whether it has normal steering or command steer
normal steering will have a full circle steering wheel command steer will have segmented steering wheel
as usual a serial number always helps

Truck Shop

TS. it would depend whether it has normal steering or command steer
normal steering will have a full circle steering wheel command steer will have segmented steering wheel
as usual a serial number always helps
With what you posted-command steering, plus it would not stay in a selected gear.
Thankyou for your reply.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
when you say steering twitch I think of the old 966c loaders that had a follow up linkage that would go into a shake when the pins got some wear in them.
As far as the 980g goes I have never seen a problem with twitch but the first thing I would look at is steering cylinder pin and bushing wear. The next thing would be sticking pilots in the steering control box under the cab where the steering shaft goes into.

Truck Shop

when you say steering twitch I think of the old 966c loaders that had a follow up linkage that would go into a shake when the pins got some wear in them.
As far as the 980g goes I have never seen a problem with twitch but the first thing I would look at is steering cylinder pin and bushing wear. The next thing would be sticking pilots in the steering control box under the cab where the steering shaft goes into.
The steering wheel would start oscillating back and forth at a rapid pace, which would shake
the bucket from side to side. It was interesting to operate, had to hit the brakes to stop it
from doing that.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Another thing that could have an effect is major slop in the center pins. And for that matter slop in the boom and bucket pins could have an effect on it.

But agree with Mobiltech on looking for slop in the mounting pins and bushings first.

Truck Shop

But agree with Mobiltech on looking for slop in the mounting pins and bushings first.
I don't have to use it anymore, we are done hauling out of that pit. Just wanted to know
what was the possible cause. It's had a hard life.

Truck Shop

i have come across something similar twice with the command steer and both times it has been a frozen slip joint between the steering wheel and command steer box
lack of grease being the cause
That's not surprising, Thanks.