• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A different kind of rental question

Electra_Glide

I have a friend who is starting up a new manufacturing business, and he has a need for a skidsteer to handle some material (sand and gravel). He's asked me if I'm interested in selling mine (which I'm not), but I started wondering about renting or leasing it to him temporarily.

My excavating business is only part-time, so my machine sits more than it runs. There are lots of potential issues, but I'm just curious if anybody has ever done anything like this?

Joe

thejdman04

I have a friend who is starting up a new manufacturing business, and he has a need for a skidsteer to handle some material (sand and gravel). He's asked me if I'm interested in selling mine (which I'm not), but I started wondering about renting or leasing it to him temporarily.

My excavating business is only part-time, so my machine sits more than it runs. There are lots of potential issues, but I'm just curious if anybody has ever done anything like this?

Joe

I would say there are tons of issues, w/this mainly insurance. I know he may be a friend now but coudl turn quicly if he damages the machine, im not paying, or he gets hurt cause of your machine he will expect you to pay for etc. You may think hes the type of guy thatd never sue you or anything but people get greedy and may if they think they can win

Ross

I would say there are tons of issues, w/this mainly insurance. I know he may be a friend now but coudl turn quicly if he damages the machine, im not paying, or he gets hurt cause of your machine he will expect you to pay for etc. You may think hes the type of guy thatd never sue you or anything but people get greedy and may if they think they can win

Yeah, Have a proper rental contract drawn up. Make sure your equipments is in top notch condition.

Ross

label1877

Skid Steer

If you decide to rent your machine,stress how easy a skid steer will turn over with a raised,full bucket. It your unit is a non-turbo,rent it. If it is a turbo,I would not rent it because of the need to idle for two minutes before you shut off the engine,would never be followed.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF label1877! :drinkup

digdeeper

do all turbo diesels have to go through a 2 minute cool down or just those on skid steers. Whats the result of not allowing a prober cool down. I have heard skid steer guys preach the cool down alot but not so much with other equipment.:beatsme

Chris

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
We rented our 303CR out to a guy here in town my dad knows. He didn't damage anything, but he decided to swing the machine through bushes so all the paint and decals are scuffed up. Another consideration is maintenance, depending on how long he rents it for. Is he going to grease the machine daily? Who knows. It's been my experience that loaning truck, trailers, tools and equipment to friends for their benefit never turns out well for me.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
do all turbo diesels have to go through a 2 minute cool down or just those on skid steers. Whats the result of not allowing a prober cool down. I have heard skid steer guys preach the cool down alot but not so much with other equipment.:beatsme

Chris

The answer would be absolutely, yes.

It came up in a discussion quite a while ago, and was discussed at some length.

Read this thread for more information.

Last edited:

thejdman04

Chris
yes absolutly