• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A recent job

savman

Just used a vac truck the other day; it was a 1400 minimum up to 4 hours; 275 an hour after. Forget how much to dump but he dumped on site.

Other guy was 8 hour minimum 400 an hour.

Both guys have multiple trucks and work in industrial cleaning and maintenance. The guy I used had 3 or 4 trucks with 3 more on order. All purchased new and he has his own mechanic who was onsite, so I assume they just patched this truck back up. Owner himself was running it was well.

Everything AZiron said about what it required to really be in the biz resonantes with what I gleaned talking to the owner onsite. Very big investment.

Pops52

Occupation
Worn out lowbed driver "retired"
20230407_132430.jpg

This is what happens when no one wants to drive 2 and a half hrs back to get iron you figure out how to make it work and man was there a lot more weight than you think on there
@AzIron That is a good lookin load, you must be a certified lowbed driver! ;)

AzIron

Just used a vac truck the other day; it was a 1400 minimum up to 4 hours; 275 an hour after. Forget how much to dump but he dumped on site.

Other guy was 8 hour minimum 400 an hour.

Both guys have multiple trucks and work in industrial cleaning and maintenance. The guy I used had 3 or 4 trucks with 3 more on order. All purchased new and he has his own mechanic who was onsite, so I assume they just patched this truck back up. Owner himself was running it was well.

Everything AZiron said about what it required to really be in the biz resonantes with what I gleaned talking to the owner onsite. Very big investment.
My figure is to be in the vac bizz to compete with badger you need about 1 mil in cash with really good credit or have 5 million laying around that you want to burn if your not going the credit route it's a dam serious line of work to be in and it is not a fun job in July when it's 115 degrees and 60 to 70 percent humidity and did I mention tyvek sucks

AzIron

20240103_131607.jpg
This is some of the most fun and aggrevating digging you can do in one hole20240103_142229.jpg20240103_144032.jpg
The bottom of the pier cap is 8 foot below grade so to make it safe to get rebar tied and clean the gravel off the pier you have to bench it out and they will form up the footing around the pier cap

Obviously the pier was drilled and poured then topped off with pea gravel before we dug the footing so then we can dig out the footing and over ex the bench and not bend any rebar in the process

The reason we use gravel is that it is easier to shovelout of the rebar than dirt the pier cap is about 8 inches wider than the pier so a 1 foot bucket is the smallest bucket to use and is ridiculously slow to use around the rebar

Attachments

• 20240103_131607.jpg
    20240103_131607.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 6

crane operator

Let's not get carried away there maybe one of these days I will quit being cheap and buy a 16 tire that's real lowboyin

I could definitely use a shorter truck some days if the wheel base was 2 feet shorter it would spoil me
I wondered about that when you first got that truck. I like my trailer being right behind the cab, I'm not in it long enough to care how it rides, I just need to make it around a corner.

The w900's don't turn real great anyways, and the wheelbase doesn't help.

Good to see you staying busy. There is a guy here in town now with a hydrovac, but he's got a underground boring business that they travel all over the country with. I think they also primarily got it for their own use.

AzIron

I wondered about that when you first got that truck. I like my trailer being right behind the cab, I'm not in it long enough to care how it rides, I just need to make it around a corner.

The w900's don't turn real great anyways, and the wheelbase doesn't help.

Good to see you staying busy. There is a guy here in town now with a hydrovac, but he's got a underground boring business that they travel all over the country with. I think they also primarily got it for their own use.
We have had that truck since I was in Jr high that's the rig I learned to lowboy in back in dads hay day he had a flip tail and a 35 ton detach and to many end dumps anyway that truck replaced the old 900 b with a 195 inch wheel base with a 5 and a 4 in it that thing was a boat anchor driving down the road gobs of power but 65 was all you wanted

The only reason he kept the 900l when he cut back was it only 50000 on a rebuild now 20 years later its got about 200000 on that same rebuild and it's paid for

When I started really driving that's what we had so that's how I learned didn't know any different but it does ride nice I would trade the 15 for an 18 speed tho it leaves a little to be desired on top end options you either do 60 or north of 70 miles an hour to get the rpms where you want them

crane operator

Sorry, I was thinking you got that truck 6-7 years ago. Maybe that was when you got it painted or the trailer, evidently my memory is slipping....

Either way, I have a full bed tilt trailer, like a landoll, and I've been wondering if just a tilt tail trailer would be handier. I just load my forklift and carry deck crane, or when I rent a telehandler.

You about need 2 guys, one to be in the equipment and one to tilt the trailer, or really trust the park brakes.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
View attachment 302204
This is some of the most fun and aggrevating digging you can do in one holeView attachment 302205View attachment 302206
The bottom of the pier cap is 8 foot below grade so to make it safe to get rebar tied and clean the gravel off the pier you have to bench it out and they will form up the footing around the pier cap

Obviously the pier was drilled and poured then topped off with pea gravel before we dug the footing so then we can dig out the footing and over ex the bench and not bend any rebar in the process

The reason we use gravel is that it is easier to shovelout of the rebar than dirt the pier cap is about 8 inches wider than the pier so a 1 foot bucket is the smallest bucket to use and is ridiculously slow to use around the rebar

Ughh. I hate digging around pier caps.

Good looking work. Like the dual receivers on the grade rod. One for the cap and one for the bench?

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
You fellas really impress a old String-line and Transit type as me. Rule of thumb grade off with junk worn slick equipment, me.

AzIron

Ughh. I hate digging around pier caps.

Good looking work. Like the dual receivers on the grade rod. One for the cap and one for the bench?
Yea running multiple recivers is really the way to speed up your day you should run a rod with 4 recievers you really need to pay attention then

Cm I learned a long time ago to embrace pier caps cause people avoid that work its tedious and slow and pays well

The other thing that really helps is having that pc 220 it makes fast work of hogging out those holes and puts the dirt far enough away you don't have to move it to keep digging that machine probably cut our time in half on those but you have to get creative kinda like this those are number 16 tebar dowls the building is precast so they have a 1/4 inch tolerence to fit so if you bend them at all its going to get expensive to fix and these are poured already next to these big pier caps and you have to set up around them its a good challenge 20240103_131512.jpg