• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A redneck (sort of) electrical repair

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Hi ridgelane, in this case the diodes provide ground for two circuits joined to a single ground wire. Without the diodes there is power feedback between the two circuits that prevents window motor from operating.

Can you describe the circuit problem you're having with your baler?

ridgelane

Occupation
Rancher
Hi Willie59.. My baler uses a 12V DC motor to extend and retract the twine arm. The message for the twine arm to be activated comes from the implement module. I have power into the module but intermittent power coming out to the twine arm. Mostly no power coming out.

The twine arm motor has only two wires so the reversing takes place when the hot and ground switch wires to the motor. I am not sure what in the module, makes the forward /reverse action to take place. I was wondering if rectifiers do the job. For the time being, as I said, I rigged the motor with two single throw double pole switches to switch polarity for each process but the module will need to be fixed properly. I did manage to find a place that does this type of work.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Agreed, repair or replacement of module would be proper repair. But if you're able and comfortable operating the arm with two toggle switches, since all you are doing is reversing polarity to the motor, it would be real simple to do that with just a single toggle switch. What you need is a DPDT, momentary, On-Off-On, center return toggle switch like shown at this link: http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/IDEAL-Toggle-Switch-1XWT1?Pid=search

You would wire the six terminals on the back of switch like this:

DPDT switch wiring.jpg

Iron@Dirt

Willie you sure spent a lot of time helping people out on the forum since o8, 6178 posts, WOW. That deserves a great big applause.

OldandWorn

We would be standing but it's getting too hard on the ole hips and knees. I think I even see grandpa back there stirring up a breeze :D

ridgelane

Occupation
Rancher
Thanks.. I had my stategy planned out for a DPDT switch but when I got to my cache, I found only the two SPDT switches. They got me through the last 200 bales and now I have winter to get the module repaired. I prefer the all automatic over manual, saves twine..