• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

A useful link for you professional and DIY wrenches

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Prolink has a button that takes you to the catalog rack, too. Handy resource.

Flat Thunder Channel

And bookmarked! The last time I wanted to view the big sale flyer I picked one up from the store. I still like the paper copy, but they take up a lot of space. Now I can oogle that two post lift I've been wanting anywhere anytime! Thanks for sharing.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
Good link! I don’t know about where you guys live but not all Napa’s in my area are created equal. Some are great and others not so much.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
For sure. I tend to have better luck with the corporate stores vs the independent ones.

JD955SC

Good link! I don’t know about where you guys live but not all Napa’s in my area are created equal. Some are great and others not so much.

It doesn’t help the old experienced guys are all retiring and dying off. Their replacements may or may not know much so if you can walk in armed with your part numbers you seek you are not at their mercy.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
For sure. I tend to have better luck with the corporate stores vs the independent ones.
I guess I didn’t realize some were corporate and some independent. My local Napa must be independent. Doesn’t keep much inventory and acts like I’m bothering him when I go in. I avoid it at all costs.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
Most of the Napa's used to be great out here but they've gone down hill too, stopped using them after they left me hanging a few times. Pretty much only use Carquest/Advance now.

I go pretty much everywhere with part numbers now.

Truck Shop

Seat covers and air fresheners is the main inventory, oh I left out the chrome chain steering wheel. Everyone needs one of those.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
And plenty of stop leak crap, ugh, always have that crap in stock.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have not had to deal with many parts stores since I retired in 2015 but back then we had a good NAPA store with a young lady, Carol, she knew more than all the guys there combined and if she said she would look into finding something odd she would keep at it till she found it!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The small town stores were pretty good some years ago. The one closest to me was in Auburn and was owned by an old couple. The husband died several years ago and the wife ran it until she no longer could. Sold it off and the new owners jacked up prices on everything about twenty percent higher than I could get the same thing at any other Napa store. One of the places where I do some work now I pass through Enumclaw which is on the way into the mountains. Decent staff, carry lots of stuff in the store and have a shuttle everyday to the supply depot by Tukwila. I give out their phone number to anyone asking about a part instead of the one in Auburn.

Flat Thunder Channel

I've had similar experiences with all parts stores. They are all staffed with employees who have limited knowledge and experience working on cars. My local Napa is a little better depending on who's at the counter.

In all cases I find it better to research your own part number in advance. Is this wiper blade for a 4x4 or a RWD? How about Lariet or XL trim package?

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I've had similar experiences with all parts stores. They are all staffed with employees who have limited knowledge and experience working on cars. My local Napa is a little better depending on who's at the counter.

In all cases I find it better to research your own part number in advance. Is this wiper blade for a 4x4 or a RWD? How about Lariet or XL trim package?
Usually it's best to try and find someone with grey hair, they can be a bit on the grouchy side but at least there is a chance they know a little bit about stuff. But once in awhile you will run into someone like Carol who we had at our local NAPA back when I still worked at the quarry!