• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Adjusting a propane carb right

Dualie

Anyone have any good tips for setting the mix on a propane carburetor? i have several forklifts a couple of which are hysters with the little 2.something out of a chevy nova with HEI ignition but i seem to always be fiddling with the them. I'm getting tired of it and wonder if theres a proper way to set the mix. I think the carbs are Impco but im not completely positive.

FSERVICE

do you have the tool to set the mixer? made by Impco, if not you need that if anyone has had their fingers in the mixer. they are known for getting the solids out of the propane in them & gumming the moving parts up;) you can get it where you get the rebuild kits at for them. it looks like a flat metal ruler with a few different notches on it with the corresponding part on it.

Dualie

I tried to pin the fuel pump to time it but it didnt work. :confused: I get all my forklift parts from Parts R parts so i will talk to doug and have him get me one. Forklifts are a necessary evil around here and it seems like that evil goes through ALOT of propane lately...

Dualie

Looks like I'm going to to figure out how to fix one sooner more than later as one of these damn hysters has a definite fuel related issue AKA NO start. always something. Has good spark and crank speed

Dualie

i have spark good spark, That hits at the right time TDC i have 138-160 lbs compression across all 4 cyls, Good crank speed, fuel flow through regulators into carburetor and i can hear the fuel being feed through the system when i press the button on the regulator, but i still cant get the damn thing to fire and run. Wants to try to run on either, but not on propane.

FSERVICE

have you got voltage/ vacumn to the fuel shutoff?? I don't know which shutoff you have on that lift. has it backfired? was there a tear in the diaphragm when you got it apart? it would be nice if you could post a pic or give me the #s off the carb & mixer;)

Dualie

Has adequate gas flow to the carb during cranking and if you apply vacuum via mity vac to the shut off but still wont fire. IT tries to run but just wont, Timing seems good. Vaporizer is doing its job and sending propane gas to the carb. carb guts were pretty gunky from the PCV but nothing horrible, diaphragm was a little dried out but not cracked or split and seemed to seal well using the finger compression method test. AKA you just squeeze it. its an impco 100 carb