• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for CDL A road test

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Now you just need to get rid of the 5th wheel restriction and try getting that trailer in the alley dock test portion, You got your foot in the door now, now just need to open it up with removing restrictions and adding endorsements.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Congrats! It's a good feeling getting that endorsement on your license isn't it?:D

Old Doug

Now you just need to get rid of the 5th wheel restriction and try getting that trailer in the alley dock test portion, You got your foot in the door now, now just need to open it up with removing restrictions and adding endorsements.
I wonder if you will have to go through the new deal to up your cdl in the future?

I'm going through this right now. Just got my training finished through my employer and need to setup a test. I will have to clarify with the DOL, but the examiners I have talked to said if your training is finished before the Feb 7th date you just have to pass your skills test before your CLP expires.

My biggest challenge is double clutching our old mack and making sure I don't miss something on the pre-trip.

Keith Merrell

So what I have read is that the new rules apply to "first time" CDL applicants of any class. And also if someone wants to upgrade from B to A, get hazmat, or a school bus endorsement. What I was told at the DMV was that if you have tested for your Commercial Learners Permit before February 7 2022, then you have as long as that permit is valid to get your test.
I'm going through this right now. Just got my training finished through my employer and need to setup a test. I will have to clarify with the DOL, but the examiners I have talked to said if your training is finished before the Feb 7th date you just have to pass your skills test before your CLP expires.

My biggest challenge is double clutching our old mack and making sure I don't miss something on the pre-trip.
What I found most useful to learn the pre trip was to watch videos, I linked one earlier in this thread that was very good. And also just spend some time practicing talking out loud what you are looking for with the truck you will test in. Best of luck, I'm sure you'll pass. My friend who did road tests for a trucking company said that he wasn't really looking at if anyone scratched a gear because of their nerves, he mostly was looking to see if they were keeping it between the lines and being observant of traffic.

skyking1

congrats!
In case you are not sure, you put on a mask to protect others and not yourself. That seems like a reasonable expectation when riding around with a stranger helping you get a license.
Enjoy your new certificate!