• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

advice for new machine

kyoshidog

Occupation
I am a career fire fighter in the Portland area (s
That's good to hear, I ahve never owned a Cat machine but have always heard about their service. What would be a reasonable price to pay for a machine with low hours? (no more then 3000)?

kyoshidog

Occupation
I used a rented Hyundai 160 last year and it was a decent machine, pushed a 60" bucket w/o any problem through really thick clay where a 120 (my 1st attempt) was really slow. Can I haul a 160 behind a dump? (I don't remember the weight of the machine I used)

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
kyoshidog,

It has been my experience having laid countless footage of underground utilities with Komatsu PC138USLC, PC228USLC and CAT 321 LCR, 328 LCR's that these machines are not tippy by any means. Both CAT and Komatsu add a great deal of weight to the undercarriage and superstructure to offset the small footprint these machines have. If operated within chart they'll lift what they're rated at with total stability. I think it's more psychological what some Operators feel about stability with these excavators. The 'matsu 228 for instance is a 25t machine but it certainly doesn't look it, the CAT 328 is a 35t machine, bet most wouldn't think that either. The flexibility you enjoy with a tight-swing machine opens doors for more work whereas you become limited with full-swing. It's a decision only you can make, but any business decision has to view the bigger picture and be the most cost effective choice with the highest ROI. The opinions we share are really only just that, machine spec's speak volumes above opinion, product support lends to peace of mind. I know here in Florida any dealer new or used will allow you to demo their machines, if they don't or won't I wouldn't do business with them. You're making a capital investment and you should base it on what is right for you and your business. I've been at this for a long, long time and have seen numerous contractor friends make really costly mistakes because they didn't check the facts and went only on opinion. Good luck, and send some cooler weather this way would you?
I have not been a fan of 0 clearance machines myself as they seem too tippy.

Permafrost-ed

From my experience owning two 315's and putting several thousand hours between the two of them, you can't go wrong with one in good shape. Depending on your local weight laws it's the largest sized excavator you can pull on a tag behind a dump. They are good on fuel, responsive, strong for it's size and dependable. The next excavator I buy in that weight class will be a 315CL.

X2

I have logged a lot of hrs in both a little 320 cat and a bigger 345 cat (both new machines). Liked them both very much. Good balance, accurate hydraulics and lots of power.

The 320 had a thumb that stole hyd. pressure from 1 track motor. Man was that a dumb move. Couldn't squeeze and drive straight and if you squeezed while on the move you made a sudden turn. Not cool. Also not Cat's fault.... thumb was after market.

The 345 was not a machine for rookies! It had enough power that an inexperienced operator could tear it up pretty fast in the rock. For the size it was very fast and nimble... I miss running that machine. Loading a 30 ton rock truck in less than 2 minutes was a blast! :)

SeaMac

Occupation
Operator
If your projects do not include mass excavation on a grand scale or laying sanitary to a 30’ deep lift station invert but more general excavating work then I believe the following list of machines is worth some serious consideration. Again, a tighter swing and smaller footprint means being able to do more with less thus opening the door to more opportunities. These are not all but a good representation and it's only my humble opinion. :salute

CAT 314 LCR:
Operating Weight: 31,085 lbs.
Max. Digging Depth: 19’6”
Transport width: 8’2”

Komatsu PC138USLC
Operating Weight: 32,568 lbs.
Max. Digging Depth: 19’4”
Transport Width: 8’6”

Deere 135
Operating Weight: 32,747 lbs.
Max. Digging Depth: 19’9”
Transport Width: 8’10”

Volvo ECR 145
Operating Weight: 31,640 lbs.
Max. Digging Depth: 20’
Transport Width: 8’10”

Last edited:

kyoshidog

Occupation
Really great information I must say and I am not in the position to say that I have anywhere near the hours you gentleman do so I respect your opinions highly. SeaMac, you are absolutely right that this a business decision and one which could be catastrophic if I make the wrong choice! I have never operated the 0 clearance machines you have mentioned, my experience has been on smaller machines that are in fact (IMHO) fairly tippy anyway. I do not do a lot (any) digging at depths of more then 15' or so and don't imagine I ever will so don't need that capacity. I am going to demo some of the machines mentioned here in the near future and will report back with the results. In the mean tim, I have a lot to think about! Thank you all for being so generous with your expertise, I really appreciate it!
Karl

tylermckee

I also run a 115 kobelco zero turn and its a nice machine. It's a little tippy with the big clean out bucket but not too bad. It's good machine, very fast, decent digging power for its size. Having no tailswing is really nice when you need it. One downside is it doesn't look like much fun to work on but most newer machines shouldn't need much anyways.

Big Iron

Occupation
Project Manager
Big Iron, what don,t you like about the Cat 315? I have not been a fan of 0 clearance machines myself as they seem too tippy. I have thought more about a 312 or 320, any thoughts on those?
liked the 315 my dislike was referring to the 0 tail swing machines. i own a 320 and it is a great machine, the only draw back is you can't haul it on a tilt bed as it is 10' 6" wide and 54k# little much for a tag a long.