• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice for next step with schooling

JD4020

Ok, I am having a dilema. I tend to have long term mood swings involving what I want to do. I have been planning on going to a local college for carpentry next summer. I am going to the college for welding in afternoons (Im in highschool still) and there is some construction going on currently. They have a komatsu excavator and dozer, a little bobcat, a volvo loader, and a sheepsfoot. Needless to say I stop for a while before and after class to watch, and Im now in a equipment operator mood, untill I see my next episode of this old house and I go back into my construction mood. Id love to open my own small scale general contracting and excavating company someday, doing both construction, and smaller dirt work, like foundations. Im wondering what I should be doing for schooling now, I will still probably go to the carpentry class first. But Im wondering if anybody here who does similar work has any advice. What would be easier to do first? I was planning on putting in my application for the carpentry class this week, but after going to welding and watching the stuff happen with my freind who IS going into school to be an operator, Im not so sure. WHAT DO I DO?:beatsme

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Start taking general business courses to learn the economics and paper shuffling of business in general. You'll need this regardless of the line of work you end up choosing.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Start taking general business courses to learn the economics and paper shuffling of business in general. You'll need this regardless of the line of work you end up choosing.

I agreee with steve then do a trade carpentry/ fitter mechanic or such then no matter what happens you have something to fall back on ,overhere to become a foreman/ganger a trade is of distinct advantage ,I myself have just started a two year course on construction management after @>years out of school so you are never to old

Stock:my2c:IMO

JD4020

I should be scheduled to take a business class or two this year in HS. But I really dont want to go into schooling for that outside of highschool. Id rather work my way up in a comapany and get to a point of buying out, I know a guy who started ot as a framer and now owns 3 companys. Id like to go more in that route. Anyway, Ive read a lot on here about skipping an apprenticeship program, and simply starting out as a laborer and just learning from there on how to run machines, is this a possible route?