• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on getting into operating.

Dylan541768

Young adult here interested in getting into heavy equipment operating in the Pacific Northwest. I have no heavy equipment experience besides running a backhoe for 20 hours, and a skid steer for 5. I was told about west coast training and their program (8 weeks m-f half time in class half on the equipment) and was thinking about attending this winter. Is this a good idea? Has anyone took this course before? Are there better courses in the PNW? Any advice would be fully appreciated. thanks!
I plan on taking a cdl course right before because I hear 50% of companies require you to have it, and it’s a good backup plan if heavy equipment idea doesn’t go through.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Dylan!

Move to AL and I'll hire you tomorrow. We will pay you to take OSHA 30 training, CDL training and all the on the job training you are willing to work. You will be eligible for health insurance, PTO and IRA retirement account with company match.

Since you are green (which is not a derogatory connotation you're just new to the business) you will start out on the lowest rung of the company and have to work you way up. This will require some long hard nasty days but you'll learn the fundamentals of the business. You will need to first learn how to grade with a shovel and rake before you sit in a machine as a strong foundation holds a long lasting building.

Now seriously -

Obviously you're not moving to AL for an entry level job but my best advice is find a company like I describe and hire on. Don't expect to get on a machine and go to digging. There is so much that must be learned first before you pull the first joystick.

Great to see interest in the industry and wish the best of luck! We need more young people like yourself to fill the shoes of the old hands leaving the industry.

Mike_IUOE

Occupation
Operating Engineer
Before spending money on a school contact IUOE local 701 and find out about their apprenticeship program and get paid while you learn. 701 covers Oregon if thats where you are wanting to stay. Most locals will help you get your CDL while an apprentice. Having a CDL can get you quite a bit of work such as vac trucks and cranes. The crane rental outfits here are always hurting for operators with a CDL

AzIron

X2 of all above union typically is good for training depending on the local but if you went to work for a company like cm that's non union you would be trainee in every part of underground cant really go wrong with either find what fits you

Steve Favia

Occupation
Retired local 150 Operating Engineer
Can’t speak much about non union,always been with local 150and worked out good for me.Most of us on this forum enjoy running equipment,hopefully you can make a good career out of it!,good luck!

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
Take a look at aggregate operations near you. Standard practice there is to start green new guys off doing plant cleanup with a shovel and water hose, then training them on a skid-steer. Once they've proven themselves dependable, they'll get on production equipment. Starting new guys on haul trucks is also fairly common.

A union apprenticeship is another good route if IOUE has a presence in your area.

Reuben Frazier

Either way good luck on your future buddy, if you were closer I’d put you In something to learn on as well. I’d rather have a eager newbie that wanted to learn than a half dozen old lazy burnt out has beens….

suladas

Really need to look specific to your area, here unions for operators for most stuff isn't very common, much better off starting off as a laborer somewhere showing ambition and you'll get your chance. IMO I wouldn't pay for a CDL unless you actually want to do that, and even if you do still probably better to start off as a laborer, and a good company will pay for your CDL after you prove you are a good employee. Most companies don't want a driver fresh out of training, it's a lot of money to spend to end up still starting in the same position. Also a large majority of operators here don't even have CDL's unless they are owner operators. Most companies once they hit a certain size have decided drivers and operators only run equipment, very few do both.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Welcome to the Forums Travis!

I have no idea what West Coast Training's tuition is but my $.03 (adjusted for inflation) is operator schools aren't worth the time nor the money.

To be brutally honest an equipment school graduate is going to be put in the same entry level position as someone green to the industry. There is only one way to properly learn how to move dirt or lay pipe and it's seat time doing it.

However before you get stick time first you have to be the guy shoveling, raking, holding the grade rod, then setting up the laser, checking alignment, checking grade, setting grade hubs, building inverts, then greasing tractors, changing oil, pressure washing equipment, changing teeth and other maintenance related tasks.

The first piece of equipment you'll be tasked to run is a remote controlled trench roller. Pretty basic in operation like playing a video game but be careful not to turn it over on a slope! Then you'll get to operate a CTL filling a rock box or moving dirt from point A to point B. At the same time you'll get some experience on an 84" padfoot compactor. As time goes on and your operating skills develop you'll get some seat time in a hoe probably shifting muck from one point of the site to another. Later on that will lead to loading trucks then before you know it you'll be climbing in a machine, run it all day and not think twice about which lever does what.

The whole point of doing and most importantly, fully understanding the above 2 paragraphs is what makes a good operator and farther down the line a good foreman and supervisor. One has to crawl before they walk.

A good foreman sitting in a hoe running a pipe crew has to know how to do every mans job on his crew before he can adequately manage his crew and get pipe in the ground profitably. There is no way around that other than experience.

Welder Dave

Having someone experienced showing you how things are done with certain machines isn't a bad idea. The operating engineers here have a training school with experienced operators but I think it's more for guys that are progressing into operating the machines. They also offer certifications for zoom boom type fork lifts because that has become a requirement. A lot of places also require forklift certificates before they will hire you. Having seen some very rough and careless forklift drivers, I think it's a good thing. Not much different than welding, a little help to get you started and then just burning lots of rod.

HardRockNM

Occupation
Miner
They also offer certifications for zoom boom type fork lifts because that has become a requirement. A lot of places also require forklift certificates before they will hire you. Having seen some very rough and careless forklift drivers, I think it's a good thing.

I can understand that. I've witnessed and participated in some very, uh, suspect things using a telehandler.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Welcome Dylan, first to a world most shy away from and to this informations site you have wandered into. Go to any and all training programs available in the area, some may be fruitless but employers are always delving into background instruction courses they can benefit hiring from. Progress is generally slow for newbies and will be painstakingly slow but do not expect to be running D11Ts or 100 tonner cranes right off or within a few years unless prove out with continued progress. Be committed to the work, ask questions, ask for assistance or recommendations of the older hands, there are nuances no instructor can know all of, log the little considerations in your head as the major machine functions tend to be self explanatory.

Travis Cheney

Welcome to the Forums Travis!

I have no idea what West Coast Training's tuition is but my $.03 (adjusted for inflation) is operator schools aren't worth the time nor the money.

To be brutally honest an equipment school graduate is going to be put in the same entry level position as someone green to the industry. There is only one way to properly learn how to move dirt or lay pipe and it's seat time doing it.
Thank you!
And I agree. I’m not interested in going to a school, was just curious what they charge. I would never pay for that kind of instruction, but I’m sure there are people that aren’t naturally good at running equipment that would benefit from formal instruction I suppose.

To the OP, my advice is learn the equipment during the day, and study entrepreneurship at night. Andy Frisella has a really good entrepreneur podcast if you don’t mind swearing, also Ed Mylett and Grant Cardone have really good content as well.

Randy88

I've found over the years there are people who operate equipment and then there are equipment operators, there is a huge difference, some can never really be taught anything, others don't need to be taught, they are naturals operating equipment and learn on their own as they go.

Before you sign up for a Union, you might want to study up and do a lot of reading of the pros and cons of Unions and ask yourself the question, "where do you want to be in 20 years and what do you want to be doing" Then ask yourself, where do I plan on doing it, if you plan to stay in a Union area, that's fine, if not, a prior union association in a non union area would be a huge hindrance.

If your self motivated, show up for work, are willing to work, can pass a drug test[which today is the huge part of being qualified for any job] and can do what your told, your leagues ahead of anyone else your age and can literally pick for who and where you want to work, all the above will also determine what pay and benefits will be starting out.

As for CDL training, myself I'd avoid it as long as possible, everyone is looking for a CDL driver and if you have a CDL no matter what your hired for, you'll end up in a truck no matter what level of experience you have or interest in driving truck. This is fine if that's what your interested in, but if you want to be an equipment operator, just be aware your going to be driving a truck instead.

If your heading into heavy equipment operating, you might be doing it at the most opportune time in history. With older folks retiring, most not being able to pass a drug test, a whole modern concept of "I really don't have to work, I'm entitled", wages and benefits shy rocketing, able work force shrinking, interest in heavy equipment dwindling. The hardest decision you might have is who do I want to work for and what do I want to be doing 20 years from now and where at.

As for training and what's needed, that would depend on who's hiring you and what they require, ask there first.

As for CM's offer, all jokes aside, myself I'd consider it, but the harsh reality is, there are probably dozens within driving distance of you now that would be willing to offer you a very similar deal.