• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Advice on purchase of a Deere 450-650 size dozer

Hi All- I recently purchased about 500 acres of hills in Eastern Washington. Soil is largely decomposed granite, with about 600' of elevation change, so some pretty steep areas. I'll be putting in maybe 6 miles of single lane road / 'driveways', as well as needing to trench in power lines and water lines, and levelling off 6 or so building sites. I purchased a 2007 Deere 200C LC excavator last summer, and got about a mile of fairly rough road carved out; and I think I should get a dozer to go with it, thinking it could much more efficiently grade what I carve out with the trackhoe. Leaning towards a Deere, so that I can have both serviced by the same Pape dealer. Wondering if anyone could offer advice as to what a good match would be with that size excavator. I envision doing most of the carving with the hoe, so not sure I need anything bigger than a 450? (But then I read bigger is better... I don't envision needing to haul the equipment once it gets delivered.) As far as model, I'm not that experienced at fixing, so I want something new enough that I hopefully don't have to worry about too much maintenance. Thinking a J LT, and under 4,000 hours, with at least 60% left on the UC. That sound right? And finally - for this type of a project, any thoughts as to getting a dozer with a ripper or a winch? I could envision both being handy, but have to choose one... or could live without either, but it looks much cheaper to find a machine already equipped than to try and add later if I do need one. ? Looking at all of the online auction sites, equipment trader, Iron Planet, etc., there appears to be a real scarcity of machines in the NW, but lots available in the mid-west, Texas, La., Fl., PA, and VA. Seems worth it to pay shipping from afar, instead of the premium local machines are going for. Appreciate any thoughts. Thanks.

boaterri

Occupation
Retired Television Engineer
I can't speak to the larger machines but if you go with a 450 get a "C" model. It has oil filled clutches that will not stick if the machine is not used for a while. A dozer with a 6 way blade will be more useful for finish grading but more susceptible to damage when digging rocks and stumps. The 450 is a good size machine, enough power and weight to get work done but small enough to be handy, get into and out of small areas. Thrifty on fuel too.

Rick

Dave Neubert

I would go with like a 650K 22,000 lbs more weight and power a 450 is a little small in my opinion especially in the mountains. My brother bought a 650 Case for his homestead in Wanatchee WA he had a 450 Case but the extra pushing power was worth it to him

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
You want at least a 20,000 pound machine. I sold my D39P to my brother in law to do cedar tree clearing on his 500 acre ranch and it worked quite well.

Thanks for the replies. OK, looking for a 650 LT. Any input as to the actual utility of a ripper vs. winch? And any known mechanical issues to watch out for in the 2002-2007 era machines?

John Canfield

Occupation
Ranching
Check the auctions on IronPlanet, that’s where I bought my dozer. Freight wasn’t too bad and finding a shipping broker through the website is really easy. They do a good inspection, some will have an oil analysis. You can also review sold machines to get a feel for going prices.

Dave Neubert

When 750s hydrostat goes down it is more costly to fix that the machine is worth personally Iwould shy away from it. When they are running they are great but when not they are scrap metal

mestizo

I love the 450 - 650 sized dozers, but I’m biased. These machines are great for the woods. Get an H or newer, definitely narrow pads if you have a lot of rock. You’ll only be able to get a PAT on these models, but there are different blade widths. If you can find a good H or J, they won’t have DEF or a DPF which is nice.

The 450-650 run the same engine, just a bit more power as you move up. 450’s are very capable dozers. The hydrostatic transmission pumps/motors in each model are EXACTLY the same. Just the pressures are turned up a little bit on the bigger modes, easy to do. They still put the same transmission in the K’s that are built today, so parts should be easy to find. Hydraulics are also exactly the same. The older models will have a belt fan, but some of the newer models have a hydraulic fan.

Some of the 550’s and all of the 650’s will have a longer trackframe which makes it easier to grade with. There are many aftermarket and OEM undercarriage options.

If you think you might want a winch, try to find a machine thats got a winch ready hydraulic pump. It just has a shaft off the back so you can add a driveshaft and 4000 series winch down the road if you want. You can still put a ripper on it, but makes it easier to add a winch If it already has the pump. If you have some steeper areas a recovery winch might come in handy. If you want a ripper, make sure the hydraulic valve has the extra valve section for one.

Definitely get a machine with mechanical hydraulic controls if you can, much simpler to repair if you’re in the woods and have an issue.

Make sure to get a good undercarriage inspection. Also have the hydraulic and charge pumps flow tested and an efficiency test done on the hydrostatics so you don’t buy someone elses problems. Pape should be able to do all these tests.

Should be plenty of dozers like this in the Appalachian area too. Good luck!

Mother Deuce

Just came across a ‘96 750C. States 4,200 hrs and 70% left on U/C for $39k. Any thoughts about that model?
Had a 755 John Deere Dozer great tractor it was hydrostatic. One day I don't recall the hours on the tractor it started getting slower. Sent the truck out loaded it up and took it to the dealer. After diagnosis the shop called me and quoted 60,000<<<< not a typo to repair it. I asked what the alternative was to pump replacement and was told change the filters and set the reliefs up which we did. The decision was made by the company to auction the machine. ( not my call but repairing it was not viable). Thinking 750.. be thinking oil sample first