• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Again with the glasses

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Posted on here before about wearing glasses, and working with grade. I began wearing glasses the year before last. Making it all this time with none, but my arms just got too short to read the paper. Dropped tri focals on me right off the hop. " Don't throw them in the drawer, wear them." I am in my second year, and I wear them all the time now. I can take the off, but can't see gauges in the machine. I actually am due for an eye exam this summer, and will probably have to go a little stronger. This will be my first season wearing them while grading, and so far I find it difficult. I did a grading job Friday that should have taken the day at most. Drs home, new driveway, attached garage at 90 degrees to the house. Tight corner, so a lot of bucket work until I can use the mold board. I did what my eyes told me was a good job, but when I checked with the straight edge and smart level, not so. Even my truck driver was questioning the job. Why we pulled out the level. I don't know if it's my glasses, or just rusty from a long winter. I mostly grade with my ass, but odd shaped spots are more visual. Going to lose the glasses Monday when I adjust the grade, and see if it helps.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I don't even own a pair of sunglasses, but I'm utterly dependent on a ballcap when I'm out in the sun.

My eye for grade was never that good to begin with, so glasses didn't really change much in that respect. A couple of pairs ago though, the optician talked me into "transitions" lenses; the ones that automatically get darker in the sunshine.

NEVER AGAIN.

On a sunny day I couldn't find the dipstick in the shade under the hood of a machine, much less see the tube to put it back in. Worse yet, in the deep shade of a trench, I couldn't see the bottom, or whatever else down there that I was trying to avoid breaking.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I got to the point of using prescription sun glasses all the time, especially around the laser levels, and bright sun. Had to have glasses since age 16 or so.
My brother is 64. When I complained about having to wear glasses for the first time at 49. all he said was "Boohoo, I've been wearing glasses since I was 7."

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I don't even own a pair of sunglasses, but I'm utterly dependent on a ballcap when I'm out in the sun.

My eye for grade was never that good to begin with, so glasses didn't really change much in that respect. A couple of pairs ago though, the optician talked me into "transitions" lenses; the ones that automatically get darker in the sunshine.

NEVER AGAIN.

On a sunny day I couldn't find the dipstick in the shade under the hood of a machine, much less see the tube to put it back in. Worse yet, in the deep shade of a trench, I couldn't see the bottom, or whatever else down there that I was trying to avoid breaking.
I don't do sunglasses. I find they give me a headache. When I was in my 30s, A beautiful young girl at a sunglasses hut talked me into an $800 pair of Maui Jims. Expensive yes, but I still have them. I always wore a ballcap for the sun. Since I discovered the only way to remember to wear my hard hat, was to never take it off. They guys always ask me if I wear it to bed, but I always say that's stupid. I put it on the night stand till I have to get up to pee. I pretty much gave up the ball cap except for the weekends.

materthegreater

I don't wear prescription glasses, but I can't wear sunglasses (or safety glasses) when grading. Messes up my depth perception. I don't like looking through glass. Even newer cars with more curve to the windshield than I'm used to will play tricks with my eyes

Welder Dave

Transition lenses are usually not too bad but going from bright sun in to a building or even the shade can take a couple minutes for them to lighten. You can be a little blind sometimes. You don't realize how dark they get.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Worn glasses since 11y.o., just had second cataract surgery where no longer required but could stand a minor correction as it all comes together healing. Wear sunglasses most any time outside or Polycarbonate Safety glasses working on anything inside. Damned near lost one eye, not going there again.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
I hear you! I started wearing glasses at 52. Mechanic work is much harder with glasses especially outside in the sun.
I went with progressive lenses and they work better than bifocals but it’s still hard to get your head in the right spot to see.
I have been told I should get transition lenses but every time I see a guy that has them I wonder how he can see with them so dark.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Worn glasses since 11y.o., just had second cataract surgery where no longer required but could stand a minor correction as it all comes together healing. Wear sunglasses most any time outside or Polycarbonate Safety glasses working on anything inside. Damned near lost one eye, not going there again.

I'll be due for cataract surgery in the next couple of years. Doc said I was on the younger end of having them and was probably due to being out in the sun without sunglasses all those years as a kid.

Wore glasses from age 15 to 26 when I had lasik surgery which was one of the best procedures I have ever had. I couldn't see far off and it gave me 20/15 vision. Vision has slipped over the years and I need readers for close up.

A friend of mine just had cataract surgery and he got one lens to see far and one lens to see close. He likes it but I've heard it can mess with your depth perception so I think I'll keep the readers.

chidog

Close up or far vision? Since most of my life I had super close up, not so much super now, given a choice I'd take close up and for far glasses. Everything I do is close up stuff.
This guy is pretty good to listen to.

Mike L

Occupation
Self employed field mechanic
I’ve been wearing contacts for about 23 years. glasses for 10 years before that. I found that after getting contacts my eyes got real sensitive to the sun so I wear sunglasses most of the time. i buy the safety glasses that are tinted by the box. If it’s dark on whatever I’m working on I put them on my hat and then try to cram my head into a tight space and scratch the s*** out of them. I keep a nice pair of costa’s for fishing trips.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
You look at the gauges in the machine?
Not really, but sometimes I have to fine grade with the bucket, and the level reading is on the dash, also, the one joystick controls the moldboard and the bucket, so I need to see what mode I'm in. 1684105642117.jpeg1684105682677.jpeg

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I hear you! I started wearing glasses at 52. Mechanic work is much harder with glasses especially outside in the sun.
I went with progressive lenses and they work better than bifocals but it’s still hard to get your head in the right spot to see.
I have been told I should get transition lenses but every time I see a guy that has them I wonder how he can see with them so dark.
My father hated trifocals as a mechanic. Bad enough to try and see looking down, but even worse looking up.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Close up or far vision? Since most of my life I had super close up, not so much super now, given a choice I'd take close up and for far glasses. Everything I do is close up stuff.
This guy is pretty good to listen to.
This guy posts a lot of medical stuff, and the funny thing is that he is a chiropractor

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I’ve been wearing contacts for about 23 years. glasses for 10 years before that. I found that after getting contacts my eyes got real sensitive to the sun so I wear sunglasses most of the time. i buy the safety glasses that are tinted by the box. If it’s dark on whatever I’m working on I put them on my hat and then try to cram my head into a tight space and scratch the s*** out of them. I keep a nice pair of costa’s for fishing trips.

Costa has a great repair program. Have you used it? I've basically gotten a new pair for $75-80 (whatever the max was) on several pairs of sun glasses. I've got two pairs - 1 to wear everyday and 1 that was "rebuilt" by Costa. When I break, destroy, sit on or scratch the **** out of the current pair, send them to Costa and bring out spare new pair. Been doing that for years. I think both pairs are on their 2nd "rebuild".

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
I'm due for an exam this summer. I went with the middle of the road lenses last time as far as the progressive lens field of view goes, maybe I need to upgrade this time. Most of the time they are so dirty it's hard to see. My brother said not to use tissues to clean them as most kleenex has some type of moisturizer on it now.

cuttin edge

Occupation
Finish grader operator
Costa has a great repair program. Have you used it? I've basically gotten a new pair for $75-80 (whatever the max was) on several pairs of sun glasses. I've got two pairs - 1 to wear everyday and 1 that was "rebuilt" by Costa. When I break, destroy, sit on or scratch the **** out of the current pair, send them to Costa and bring out spare new pair. Been doing that for years. I think both pairs are on their 2nd "rebuild".
Oakley used to be like that way. Not sure if they still are. I had a pair when they were all the rage. I saw an advert the other day for a Timex Ironman watch retro remake.
images
Have not worn a watch in years, but I did have one of these in school. I think it was 40 bucks at the time. I think they want 170 now, and the sad part is that I am considering it.