• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Air dryer filter corrosion

DirtyHoe

I bought a used 50CFM refrigerated air dryer from a machine shop. It's about 8 years old. It was installed indoors and the air compressor was outside in a shelter. The air compressor was a big Quincy brand piston type. I took off the side panels to clean the coils. The outside of the copper is corroded, but the innards are way worse. The pictures(after sandblasting) are inside the Parker regulator and coalescing filter. It took all I had for strength to take apart the bowl nut with a strap wrench. They are mounted on the outlet side of the air dryer. The automatic drain innards have a decent amount of corrosion inside the brass fittings, but no pitting. What would cause the heavy pitting on the aluminum? I've never seen this before even on much older equipment.
Should I rattle-can paint inside the bowls to slow it down?

Steve

Coalescing filter.jpg Copper tubing.jpg Parker.jpg Regulator.jpg