• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alaskan Logging Equipment, Left to Rust

maxey6

Well, back to work after a winter break. This is the Log Transfer Facility at Discovery Bay. I understand it's in pretty bad shape now.

1. Danger Bay
2. LTF getting ready to start loading the barge to take out to the ship the "Orient Pine." We loaded the barge every night for a week to fill the ship.
3. "Orient Pine"

Attachments

• Ship loading 001.jpg
    Ship loading 001.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 4,707

maxey6

Here are some pic's of a few Silver Fox on Afognak. We had a 3 legged one that followed us wherever we went. If we moved 10 miles it didn't matter. He'd come hobblin' up to the crummy in the morning waitin' for a sandwich, cookie, or on a good morning I gave him a whole maple bar. They had no problem eating out of your hand.

1. Silver Fox
2. Silver Fox in one of our logging units
3. Jim Neil hand feeding a fox

Attachments

• Silver Fox on Afognak 001.jpg
    Silver Fox on Afognak 001.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4,716

maxey6

Traffic jam!!!

Okay, now here's some classic Iron. Starting on the front row of picture number 1 is 3 of the FMC's moving to a new unit. Notice the guy standing next to the machines flipping the camera off? lol I've got a story about him later.
The Drott loader on rubber tires loading, and the BU737 Skagit yarding.

1. FMC's on a move. Drott loader. Skagit Tower.
2. Steve "Reggie" Rucker on the "Queen" a 210CA FMC
3. Off highway truck with a magmum charge of sitka spruce headed to the LTF

Attachments

• Yarder, Rucker, and loaded truck 001.jpg
    Yarder, Rucker, and loaded truck 001.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 4,681

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
These pics are great, but small. I usually scan a set like this, then go into photo editor and crop them individually, re-assign a new name, and save. They become full-size then for me. Not sure if it would work for you, but worth a shot for sure.

maxey6

Last but certainly not least a pic of me in October 1991 on Prince of Wales Island. We built the beach road between Thorne Bay and Coffman Cove. We stopped at Ratz Harbor and Pete White finished it into Luck Lake.

1. Cutting right-a-way 1991. Don't be laughin' at that holdin' wood. I thought about sawin' it off before the picture was taken, but then again it wouldn't be original. lol Besides, I was nervous, it was my first big Sitka Spruce.

Attachments

• Max and Sitka Spruce 001.jpg
    Max and Sitka Spruce 001.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 4,701

maxey6

Contract Logger. I called Lattin and talked to his sister-in-law, he's always on the road about his FMC. You said you know of a few more FMC's in Southeast? I'm lookin' for some for runners and parts machines. I do know of several here in Idaho as the Forest Circus mandated their usage in the '80's and '90's but looking for something closer to Alaska.
Any help would be appreciated.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Contract Logger. I called Lattin and talked to his sister-in-law, he's always on the road about his FMC. You said you know of a few more FMC's in Southeast? I'm lookin' for some for runners and parts machines. I do know of several here in Idaho as the Forest Circus mandated their usage in the '80's and '90's but looking for something closer to Alaska.
Any help would be appreciated.

Harvey Von has one or 2 at Whale Pass that were running not long ago- and Harvey is back on POW I hear. Lattin has a good phone number for him, and recently bought some trucks from him. Lattin's in Wrangell right now working on Enright iron I believe. I'll see what I can find. Shouldnt be too tough to find, lol. PM me again- I am curious as hell what yer gonna do with the FMC's?
You looking for grapples or line machines preferrably?

Lashlander

I heard Al got rid of most everything but the old D8K. KMC bought the FMC's, Klukwan got the 250' barge, and I heard he sold the tugboat the Cygnet somewhere in Alaska. Lashlander, are you a Lash, or do you work for Lash Corp?
Almandinger was there as a mechanic in the shop, Sang E. Sue and Charley Winters were the field mechanics when I was out there. I don't know Bill Neshiem, but he must be related to David Neshiem who is going to be doing some consulting for us on Afognak.
I sure hate to see the oldtime loggers pack it in, but maybe some of us can take up the slack and keep things goin'. Nothin' I like better 'en getting under some Earth Firster, greenies skin! lol
I have a question I'd like to pose to this board. Do you think the Gildersleeve's, the Buhler's, the Seley's, the Thomas's, the Whitestone's, the Browning's, the Derry's of the logging world are getting out because it's all over, or they know something we don't, or do you think they just aren't willing to change with the times and figure it's time to get out?
You guy's work on that, and I'll scan some pics from the old days. lol
I'd really like to hear everyone's comments on the subject.

That makes sense. Steve called and asked if Lash Corp would be interested in buying their old 90 ton Lorain Truck Crane. Is that it in your pictures? The last I saw the Cygnet it was sitting in the Seward Harbor looking real rough. Did Dennis McMurrey run it when you worked there? Bill Neshiem isn't related to Dave as far as I know. Dave was a Forrester for Lesnoi when they logged Chiniak. Personally I think everyone of those companies would still be at it if they had the wood.

Contract Logger

Occupation
Equipment Broker
Last but certainly not least a pic of me in October 1991 on Prince of Wales Island. We built the beach road between Thorne Bay and Coffman Cove. We stopped at Ratz Harbor and Pete White finished it into Luck Lake.

1. Cutting right-a-way 1991. Don't be laughin' at that holdin' wood. I thought about sawin' it off before the picture was taken, but then again it wouldn't be original. lol Besides, I was nervous, it was my first big Sitka Spruce.

This is an awesome pic. I've seen trucks roll off the landing with big timber and alot more olding wood than than on em'. Nothing to worry about if she got to the ground and you walked away safe.

chansey

Occupation
Retired Project Engineering Manager
If only

WOW....for those of us in New Mexico, we wouldn't see that many pieces in a lifetime let alone left to rot.

Thanks for the pics--love those B Model Macks

maxey6

Hey OldMule it was actually a 064 stihl I had then. Replaced it with a 288 Husqvarna with a 36 inch bar. Here in Idaho I think a guy could get away with a Homelite or Poulan with a 12" to 18" bar. lol

maxey6

Lashlander, I'm not sure if that was the same crane or not. Reminds me of the crane we had at the Danger Bay camp. It sometimes got out of control (about 90% of the time) and just started spinning. I think they had someone that would throw a chunk of wood in the gears or brakes to get it to stop where they wanted it. lol Typical Schafer piece of equipment.

Cold-Oil

Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks for sharing all the great pictures! I spend time on Annette island working on equipment, very memorable experience.

Lashlander

Lashlander, I'm not sure if that was the same crane or not. Reminds me of the crane we had at the Danger Bay camp. It sometimes got out of control (about 90% of the time) and just started spinning. I think they had someone that would throw a chunk of wood in the gears or brakes to get it to stop where they wanted it. lol Typical Schafer piece of equipment.

I missed this the first time around. Pretty funny though. The boom tip in your pictures makes me think it's the same crane. It's been sitting out at the North Dock by the Ship Yard in Seward for years. It was still in use last time I was there.
I've got a few pictures I can add to this but their about 300 miles east of me right now.

Last edited: