• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Alaskan Logging Equipment, Left to Rust

HDX

Contractlogger Yes the military low-bed truck is an M123 Hard to tell if it is the early one (Leroi gas engine) or the later model with the Cummins 903 V8 diesel but she is for sure an M123 that is one of her axles laying on the deck of the lowbed, As for keeping the location of this equipment a secret --I couldnt agree more LEAVE IT ALONE ITS NOT HURTING ANYBODY !!! Thats why we here in BC dont have any history left cause the scrappers got it all--At least you people have still got yours This is so great to be able to just admire this stuff THANKS

Jdigger4130

Thank you for taking the time to put this stuff up!!! I am obsessed with logging equiptment and all the history around it. I am a carpenter in the bay area of California so I have very little opportunities to see ANYTHING this awesome. Your profession is what I always dreamed of doing when I was a kid but life took me to the city and hippies ect so no real work fer me. I am collecting stuff for a diorama in 1/25th scale of A 70s-80s west coast log/trucking shop and would love to hear from anyone that has an interest in that type of thing I can be reached at [email protected]

DIRTROAD

Occupation
Forestry
Thanks for posting all of these pics. It took me a while to look thru them, but well worth the time. Now I have to figure out which ones to look at next.

trakloader

I can remember my Dad telling me stories of the Poclain shovels. D & J logging in Forks had one delivered in the late seventies that he had the mispleasure of working on. I think he still has a set of original test gauges for checking pressures. It was a daily occurence for him to be fixing something on those beasts. As John said, I doubt anyone misses spending hours on those machines...

The Poclain shovels were quite popular in BC for a short period in the 70's. Edwards & McEachern had a few building grade, and MacMillan Bloedel had at least one. I think CIPA had a couple, too. There were also a few set up as log loaders, but I don't know of any surviving in BC. Looks like they all went to Alaska!

Greatwestcam

Occupation
Driver/Mechanic
Great photos Contractlogger, find myself looking through them again and again. pick something different out each time. Hard to believe so much iron is still out there. We're lucky to have you take the time to post such great shots. Thanks again.

Bison

Occupation
Bison rancher
Very nice pics,makes me wanna go and see it in person.I wouldn't have believed it if some one told me,your pics proves it.Thanks for sharing
I'm appalled at so much waste though,its a crying shame.

AKLogger

Occupation
truck driver[prefer off-hwy]
Cool pics, thanks for sharing.
Drove all of the types of trucks you've pictured, at one time or another, in Alaska. Never much cared for the 46-40 rear ends, but were ok if you treated them with reasonable care. I've watched the logging industry strangled to death over the years, the sawmills disappear and our forests become a disaster. Traveled extensively the last few years and the destruction is wide-spread across northwestern states. Some place have an estimated 70% killed by bugs. Not telling you anything new, except I'm a fourth generation logger, off-hwy log hauler, with nowhere to go. What jobs I see in different places offer wages akin to what I made in the late 70s. Not much future in that.
Guess I'm becoming es extinct as the old iron you've pictured. Such a waste of a resource and industry.

Dozer21

It took me a long time but finally went through all the pictures. They were great!! I find it hard to believe that they just leave all that old equipment there to rust. Just curious, who owns all the equipment and even the property if the logging companies left years ago??

AKLogger

Occupation
truck driver[prefer off-hwy]
Dozer21, I just couldn't tell you who still owns that equipment. Contract Logger probably has a better idea. You would think it would be available to do something with. The property is most likely either Forest Service, or Native land.
Tracking down any owner might be a chore, but I agree with what you're thinking.....Aught to be put to work and good use, not left to rot.
I know... I'm an off-highway truck driver/log hauler, with pretty much nowhere to go. Make you feel like that equipment left in the brush.

toyaround

I loged fore Gildersleve in 91 ,92 on Prince of wales , the float was in Tolstoi bay. I ran shovel and slung riggen on bulls crew if any of you no who im talking about I would sure like to here frome you.toyaround.

ZAXIS

Occupation
Mgr./Member of Rainwater Construction Company, LLC
I never get bored of these pics. every pic i look at i think of what it would of looked like new and shiny. thanks for the pics

I could not agree more. What a shame that all this great iron is going back to the ground from which it came.

HITACHI350

West Coast Yarder, just like the Rygaard's on 'Axe Men'. Wonder if they need a parts machine? Also- the factory sales brochure so you can see it new.
Rusting south of Wrangell now, along with alot of other iron at an old campsite.

HAHAHA that look exacly like theres HAHAHA
ive seen it, its not to pretty

EZ TRBO

Occupation
Aggregate Utility, Maintence Welder
I love looking at all the old iron, just wish that the reason most was sitting wasn't due to lack of work but rather that tha piece was just plain wore out. Thanks a ton for sharing what you have spent hours getting, and loading into here. Looking forward to more.
Trbo

MrMechanic

Occupation
Hopeful Future Construction Equipment Mechanic
Do you have pics of the Fellerbuncher? (if that's the right way to word it? It's like an Excavator, but it's got a saw head at the end instead of a bucket)

Looking at the pictures so far, I could see the Dozer, Cranes, etc. But what did they use to actually cut down the logs?