• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Altec Derrick Truck

bull

Don't really know where to post this, but it is sort of a crane.

I have a 78 ford, Altec D-800 derrick truck, with boom, man box, and augur.

Just bought it and everything worked great.

Was drilling holes with the augur and got to hole number 12 and it just stopped turning.

Doesn't seem mechanical and I'm getting oil flow to the motor, doesn't seem to be a high flow, however.

Everything else works fine.

Anyone have any ideas on what might be going on?

Thanks much.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
1978? That's a fairly old unit, don't know that I've worked on an Altec of that vintage. When the auger stopped digging, would it still operate in the opposite direction?

lantraxco

Okay, what do you mean by "doesn't seem mechanical"? and how have you ascertained that there is flow to the motor?

Unpin the auger and see if you can turn the output shaft on the reduction with a pipe wrench, bar, etc.

Usually you can unbolt the motor and separate it from the gear reduction, have a look and see if that's possible on yours, leave the lines connected, see if the motor is turning.

Might be you lost the splines on the motor shaft.

Some of them I think had a separate pump for the auger drive?