• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

American Shovels, loaders, yarders and cranes?

John Anderson

Occupation
Piledriver
Any of you guys have any American Hoist and Derrick Co. shovel, loader or yarder pics? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Thanks!

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
As I recall American Hoist and Derrick Co. was a dealer in Seattle in the fifties up to the early seventies. I don't recall them having any affiliation with American Crane Co. I know that at one time they sold Koehring cranes.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
John, I ran a 4000lb H&B asphalt plant that had a enameled sign on it that said Hetherington and Berner a division of American Hoist and Derrick. I thought it was the crane manufacturer.

drillrigdoc

Ah&d was American crane back in the day. They have been bought and sold many times. Last I knew they were owned by Terex. All our old books when I was wrenching on them said American Hoist and Derick, and we were a dealer in Seattle

fhore1

Thanks just talked to me Tipton at Terex. He got me lined out on clutch adjustment pages and a book dealer.

Still having an issue with raising boom but swing seems better with new filter and housing.

drillrigdoc

Sorry i am not familiar, i thought you were referring to a friction machine. I have never been around a juicer American like that. Looks like a twin disk ? Between the engine and the pumps? Those are pretty simple to adjust, but if your problem doesn't exist with all functions it is probably in the hydraulic circuit for said function or functions. Sorry i couldn't be more help. Good luck! Will

fhore1

According to the literature the Teryx guy sent me about the American 258 it's a single disc. The demand from the boom pump creates such a low that the clutch was slipping. It was relatively easy to adjust I pulled the pin and turned clockwise. Not sure what the spec is on top of the access plate that I'm supposed to go to but definitely heard the snap of Engagement.

Tugger2

I still run An American crane, 4450 truck mounted. Wondering if anyone on here knows of any manuals detailing boom dimensions ,ie; angle cord or tubular chord material thicknesses. My manuals show some repair details ,but nothing to determine standard booms from heavy duty booms. Its seems that the 46" angle and the 47" tubular are used on a wide range of models from 40 to 75 ton. The 40 ready to bail on another barge load of bark mulch P4141644.JPG

fhore1

+18776983739
This is the number for Terex that I called regarding my American he gave me a phone number for a company that still makes all the manuals if you wanted to buy something.

Tugger2

Thanks. Ill try them. I guess we got off track on this thread, heres a 7220 we rebuilt in the 70s. . We were a three man team over a fire season shutdown ,Master mechanic ,Heavy duty mech. and me the welder. I built the riser and cab , rebuild the backstop and heel boom. We built a 120' supersnorkel for the old girl in the 80s and did swingers frictions and end snorkel sections fairly regular from then on. I have picture of the snorkel ,but its pretty faded but ill try and scan it.img933.jpg img929.jpg img932.jpg img932.jpg img929.jpg img933.jpg

fhore1

Yeah we did get off topic I think that was my fault with my hydraulic issue questions should have been in a different thread.

Captain Nemo

Occupation
recycler
I still run An American crane, 4450 truck mounted. Wondering if anyone on here knows of any manuals detailing boom dimensions ,ie; angle cord or tubular chord material thicknesses. My manuals show some repair details ,but nothing to determine standard booms from heavy duty booms. Its seems that the 46" angle and the 47" tubular are used on a wide range of models from 40 to 75 ton. The 40 ready to bail on another barge load of bark mulch View attachment 185670
That American looks like new ! I just got a 5510 American truck crane and have some information if I can help. What brand of carrier do you have?