• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ancient d5 brakes locked up

catfixer

Had a guy call me and tell me his dozer wouldn't move after sitting for a month. It's a D5 prefix: 96J She goes into gear, but the brakes are locked up. Looking at sis, this machine has band brakes. I inspected all the linkages and such and they go back and forth as they should, but I've never opened up a machine with this older style brake. He just needs it to move so he can sell it. any recommendations on how to go about going about freeing them up or something to check that I may have missed. I know you guys here have a great deal of experience with these older pieces. Thanks!

lantraxco

Assuming it isn't older than I've seen, Have you removed some small cover plates to check the adjuster? Some of those old units I think would kind of overcenter if you let the adjustment get too far out. If you can find the band adjusters on top of the clutch housing or from the rear you can try backing the adjuster off and working the linkage to free them up? YMMV

ben46a

There is a small cover on each side on top as well, under the fuel tank. They aren't to bad to get too even to take a look. They're about twice the size of the rear covers.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Not positive but this might be of some help:

Attachments

• D5 TRACTOR brakes.pdf
    382 KB · Views: 44

lantraxco

If you pull both levers and the load comes off the engine I would assume it's not the steering clutches?

catfixer

Went out to the machine this weekend. Fired her up and pulled buth steering clutches as lantraxco advised. Started moving back and forth once I released but now it's not steering at all. Any ideas?

lantraxco

Went out to the machine this weekend. Fired her up and pulled buth steering clutches as lantraxco advised. Started moving back and forth once I released but now it's not steering at all. Any ideas?

Okay, so you can stop the machine by pulling both steer clutches, and get each track to drive by releasing the steer clutch on that side? But when you pull the steering clutch on one side and apply pressure to the one brake pedal, does the pedal come up tight, or not, and no braking for turning, on either side? Is that what the machine is doing, or not doing?

catfixer

I put it in gear, pulled both steering clutches and the load didn't come off the engine. After I released them the tractor be an to move, but now pulling either steering lever doesn't seem to to anything

lantraxco

I put it in gear, pulled both steering clutches and the load didn't come off the engine. After I released them the tractor be an to move, but now pulling either steering lever doesn't seem to to anything

Oh great, if it ain't one thing.... now it sounds like the steering clutches are not releasing?

catfixer

I printed out the steering clutch adjustment procedures. Will see how she fares when I go back in the morning. customer just wants it sold and gone.