• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Another lonely forum

Motor Grader

Occupation
Technology Solutions Expert
Left over millings

There is some waste, but not like you have with conventional milling machines that require a conveyor of some kind to collect. We are only "bump grinding" with this machine and the waste is more like a dust and sand. We are collecting it with a pick up broom.

928G Boy

I used to work for a smaller company that had a division in recycled concrete and asphalt. They teamed up with another larger contractor on a road job. we did curb/gutter/sidewalks and the big boys did the milling and repaving.

The little guys were smart, they hauled all the asphalt millings to their "processing yard", turned around and sold it as yard topping to a lumber yard. pure profit gotta love it. The recycled asphalt works great, pack the heck out of it and leave it in the sun and it bridges quite nicely.

637slayer

Occupation
scraper hand
here in wyo ive seen it done several ways, 1, just rip the asphault with a dozer load it in scrapers and bury it somewhere in a deep fill off of the mainline, 2, mill it and the trucks take it away somewhere i guess they used it for something should have paid more attention, on one job they milled the top few inches put it in piles and we used it for the detours, as we finished the dirt to grade we put the millings on top and it worked really well for traffic to travel on, then after the dirt grade then the base lastly they paved, after the paving the state runs a mini van with tinted windows so you cant see the hundreds of thousands of dollars of special equipment inside, they drive it up and down the new highway every inch at different speeds, the special van reads the road takes all the unacceptable bumps and marks them, they give this info to the grinding company, the grinders ive seen were big box looking things that looked like a ice hocky rink shaver, they always have a water truck attached to it, im usually putting on topsoil while they are grinding so i got alot of close looks at these special machines, i know they get paid by the grind and its not cheap.

muddobber

Occupation
welder,machinist,mechanic, underground coal mines
The shop I worked in built underground continuous miner heads. We did a few road planer heads that Kennametal supplied the bits and blocks for. Definately not cheap. Wear on the bits depend on the attack angle set to the blocks when installed. An amazing machine to see operate.

PipeGuy

A company that I used to work for had an "Asphalt Zipper" it had a 4cylinder cummins engine that powered it and you put it in your loader bucket. It milled 36" wide and left the grindings in place. I worked good for installing pipe down teh middle of the street. You didn't have to sawcut both sides you just "zipped" it. But when the teeth got wore down, it didn't work good at all. Good teeth are key to milling

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
Where I used to work whether we tore it out or milled it off all went back to the asphalt plant. In some cases the old asphalt is worth almost as much as the new asphalt per ton. There it all work get sent through the crusher and made into 5/8" material. Periodically we'd take samples and test them for asphalt content.
Using recycle in the plant cuts down on product cost because it carries a certain asphalt oil content which turn cuts down on the % of new asphalt oil to be used in the mix design not to mention the new aggregate %.
Recycle going into the plant holds a higher value than using it for base in some cases.

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
some places you even have to mix in a certain amount fo your 'grindings' with the new asphalt mix. this usually done in the first lift or two and then the top lift is usually all new product. I have ran a few 'grinders' and they all could handel concrete. I think it was the types of cutting teeth used. I cant remember the name , but I do remember they were about $12 a tooth. and they didnt like hidden manholes ot water valves. usually the valves/ manholes lost the fight, but the odd one would tear off the tooth and the "shank" that held it. we always had a dozen or so shanks on hand to weld back on.if it happened.

Nick Abeyta

Any word on the highway about VOLVO's new MT-2000 mill from IR? - They've been advertising it for 2-yrs now and noones talking about it pro or con.

milling_drum

Occupation
asphalt mill operator (ret)
Hello Squizzy...It is called a milling machine, it mills or chews asphalt surfaces. Does a great job but it doesn't like concrete. You don't have these down under?

View attachment 4188

This pictured Mill is from FL, I think a company called Mill=it ran it. over the years I saw this picture when it was for sale by a Heavy Eq. dealer outside Orlando.

One of the first forward loading types of mill/cold planer/profiler/grinder this model is. Can't remember the series # though

chincot

Yes, I have seen Volvo's(IR) new MT2000 mill. Very impressive. 3 drums speeds that runs direct from engine, so no changing drum drive pulley. Four different steering modes, so cul-de-sac's will not be a problem anymore. Very well designed machine, just like the old IR mills in the 90's.

Turtle

Occupation
president of Turtle Southeast, Inc.
These machines were first called Cold Planers because prior to the Galion RP-30 which was produced in 1974, the only planers out there were heater planers. They used heat to soften the aspahlt then it was scraped up. We puchased one of the first ones made and wanted to emphasize the fact that they did not use heat to remove the aspahlt. CMI came out with their machines shortly there after and coined the tern ""RotoMill" because you are basically milling the raod the same way a machine shop mill works on steel; hence the term Mill or Milling Machine. We purchased 3 of their machines in 1975/76. The other terms used for the machines are Cold Mills, Pavement Profilers, Grinders(mostly used out west), and Planers. Almost all of today's machines have they same basic drive system which was first introduced by Herb Jacobs in 1978 when he made the first direct drum drive mill in the barn behind his house in Taylor, SC. It was called a Roconeco Sidewinder 6.5. We have owned several of these since 1979. Up until that point all the mill drums were driven by hydraulic motors. He was the first to use a PTO, belt and pulley system. His design and company were purchased by Ingersoll Rand and the machines were mass produced as IR MW-6520 or the track model MT-6520. These were some of the simplest yet most dependable machines I've ever seen.

andoman

Since I'm a little new and I mostly utilize hydraulic motor driven mill attachments, what was the downfall of the large hydraulic motor driven machines?

Turtle

Occupation
president of Turtle Southeast, Inc.
Hydraulic drives are not as efficient in HP transfer as direct belt drives. It also allows you to lessen the hydraulic load on your machine which mean less pumps and motors, less heat exchanging need, smaller oil cooler, less hydraulic oil needed to run the machine. Any time you can remove the need for hydraulics in this enviroment it is a plus.