• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Antarctica

deerefan

Occupation
operator
Doin a lil searchin on the web the other day for operating jobs around the country, and I stumbled upon a comapany called Ratheon polar services, and there looking for operators to go to Antarctica. Just wondering if anyone has done this or knows anything about it, escpecially the salary? thanks

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
Ratheon is a huge defense contractor for the Department of Defense. If you go there it will be for the spring and summer season. Spring down there now, it started on September 21. Anyone that goes is there for the season. Don't know anything about the wages but it will be daylight 24 hours a day.

caver

Couple of former navy co-workers did time on the ice. They were a little weird in the head from the experience. :)

Zed

I did 14 months on the ice for the Australian Antractic Division. if you're keen for something different and like a little adventure then it's an awesome experience. If you cant handle isolation or living in a small community, then walk away, many people have gone nuts down there, and it's not a good place to do that.
i've worked in remote mine sites pretty much all my working life so it didn't bother me at all. I only did the one trip, I didn't go for the money, I was getting paid alot more at the mine I was working at. Only do it for the experience of a lifetime, and the adventure. There were a few "repeat offenders" we called them, who go back all the time. In my opinion, they were weird to be around, and kinda anti social. I can find out what they are paying the Aussie operators if you like. The AAD usually advertises for jobs a season in advance, so for next summer season they'll be advertising now. AAD has a website www.aad.gov.au

deerefan

Occupation
operator
I did 14 months on the ice for the Australian Antractic Division. if you're keen for something different and like a little adventure then it's an awesome experience. If you cant handle isolation or living in a small community, then walk away, many people have gone nuts down there, and it's not a good place to do that.
i've worked in remote mine sites pretty much all my working life so it didn't bother me at all. I only did the one trip, I didn't go for the money, I was getting paid alot more at the mine I was working at. Only do it for the experience of a lifetime, and the adventure. There were a few "repeat offenders" we called them, who go back all the time. In my opinion, they were weird to be around, and k

inda anti social. I can find out what they are paying the Aussie operators if you like. The AAD usually advertises for jobs a season in advance, so for next summer season they'll be advertising now. AAD has a website www.aad.gov.au

Yea man that'd be great, I don't expedt the pay to be that amazing. Kind of just looking for somethin different to do, plus how many ppl can say theve ben there, and it would look good on a future reseme