• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any Cat M series Graders operators out there?

Billy X

I think that the knock between 4th and 5th is because the tranny goes to a different set of clutch packs. Now I could be wrong it wouldn't be the first time,but the 12 & 140H I used to drive had the same trouble and that was the reason for it. The M series could be different though.

Wolf

Those old machines have great power and you gotta use your brain to run them. Gotta really think about what's going on with the machine. love em.

w4m

Nice Machine

I have several hundred hour of operating experience on a 120 M AWD. This is the nicest, easiest to operate machine I have ever had the joy to operate. I used it to blade roads at the wind farms in Tehachapi, CA. Very hilly, steep country. All wheel drive and interlock made it a very heavy earth mover. Had to road it several times on a narrow 2 lane, high traffic highway. Once used to it, the steering is fine. The only problem I had with it, was my fault, if in a stressful situation, I tended to push the left joy stick forward when turning, thus lowering the left side of the blade. But got over that in about a week.
Anyone out there need a good M Series blade operator?

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
The only problem people are having is getting use to how touchy the steering is at roading speeds but
I herd CAT is playing with some computer programing to make that better and if and when that comes out I sure CAT reflash the ECM for free and it only takes a few mins.

What this says is CAT put the M Series graders on the market prematurely. CAT has done frequent upgrades of the steering function so far. The company knows many graders are roaded and operated on public streets and highways. Steering control is paramount. There is definitely a product liability issue here in the case of injury. I wouldn't give fifty cents for a new one.
Right now, John Deere has a leg up on CAT graders with a steering wheel option and I suspect Deere is pissing on CAT'S fire hydrant bigtime.

I could say more, but I am also busy working on my Allis Chalmers M100B. Maybe tonight. Several other points have been raised here which require addressing. Chow.

bruce michael

Occupation
Plant Operator/Truck Driver
Hi w4m,
Does your machine have a switch to shut down all hydraulic controls except steering when you road it? Our 2 140Ms do, and I find it to be a useful feature when roading. Although on my 12H I some times use wheel lean as well as the steering wheel when roading (just a little habit I got into:rolleyes:).

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
It has a hydraulic circuits shutoff switch because if you get knocked around inside the cab while roading or simply by accident hit one of those joy sticks, well....go figure what the outcome could be, especially in traffic.

No steering grader has every had hydraulic shut off before the M Series to my knowledge. It just didn't compute.

In The Beginning, God didn't make little green apples, nor graders w/out steering wheels.

Last edited:

bruce michael

Occupation
Plant Operator/Truck Driver
It has a hydraulic circuits shutoff switch because if you get knocked around inside the cab while roading or simply by accident hit one of those joy sticks, well....go figure what the outcome could be, especially in traffic.

Very spectacular roading down a bitumen road at night or dusk to see sparks coming from the left hand mouldboard tip.....NOT!:eek:

mattyg

Occupation
grader operator
Hi everybody. At work we got a new used 2009 140M and so far i like it. But the question I have is, how do i know if it has the up to date software. They will only have cat come out if I can tell them its not running the most recent programming. I want the check this because we are going to start grading in about a week and I would like to know she is all set. Thanks a bunch. Matt

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Hi everybody. At work we got a new used 2009 140M and so far i like it. But the question I have is, how do i know if it has the up to date software. They will only have cat come out if I can tell them its not running the most recent programming. I want the check this because we are going to start grading in about a week and I would like to know she is all set. Thanks a bunch. Matt
Tell them you are having steering issues (common with early versions of M Series Implement Control software), that should get everyone's attention. The implement software has been upgraded so many times over the past couple of years it makes even the dealers' head spin trying to keep up with the changes. There is an easy way for your management to find information out about software at no cost to the company. Call the local Cat dealer who services your equipment, give them the Serial Number of your 140M and ask them the following question. "Are there any Product Improvement Programs (PIP) of the Safety or Priority classification outstanding on this Serial Number, specifically on ECM software for the Implement Control..?" If the answer is yes the upgrade costs you as the customer nothing because "Uncle Caterpillar" foots the bill. Alternatively PM me your Serial Number and I'll check and let you know.

We received a brand-new 16M about 3 weeks ago and when we checked the installed software we found that Cat had upgraded it since our machine left the factory ......... so the first thing the dealer had to do before the paint got taken off the blade was upgrade the software in all 5 ECM's. This was done under a PIP program, I don't have a copy of it with me right now but I would bet money it is related to all M-series graders and not just 16's.

Ross

The software part number should be Checked. Documented and updated when ever a new flash comes out.

This doesn't happen much these days. Instead people only do this if a service letter comes out.

Every piece of CAT equipment I looked after had the numbers documented and I would look for updates weekly. Then I would implement a program to update. This can cause problems if you have 24 trucks and need to update.

To find the software part number you need to plug in ET or of you have a newer machine the software number & date can be viewed in "System Info"

Steering malfunction can be caused by loads of problems. From worn out steering bearings to pump out put pressure will throw the light on.

Don't know if many have worked on the 24M's ?

mattyg

Occupation
grader operator
Hey guys thanks for getting back to me. I will let the mechanic know so he can call and ask. If that does not go anywhere i will PM yiou the serial number Neige. Thanks again. Matt

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Matty, when your mechanic calls the dealer have him make sure he asks the question exactly as it's worded above. Asked that way it should ring a few bells with the dealer Service Person at the other end of the phone. Even better have him ask for either the Warranty Administrator or the Technical Communicator.

Bluetop Man

Occupation
farmer
It probably goes without saying the joystick steering on M Series graders was developed with GPS steering control in mind. IMHO anyway. Obviously neither CAT nor GPS manufacturers are there yet with the technology, and there are obvious growing pains. This feature would sure be handy in highway construction. True stakeless grading will be a godsend. If they ever get there, and they eventually will, it will surely be a milestone event.