• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

any ideas? d7f

rhudson1

I have a 1974 d7F that i use on my farm. I bought it from my uncle who advised the trans was rebuilt about 200hrs ago.. I was using it this weekend and had to park it due to a loud squealing under the seat on the left side of the trans ( left side facing forward). the squealing would run you out of the cab. I pressured cleaned the area under the seat for a better view. could not determine exactly where the noise was coming from so i decided to check the trans fluid which i have never found to have a problem however, this time i found water in the fluid. filter was dirty but no metal in the magnet screen. first ,,what is the best way to flush the trans. cat fluid is 79 for 5 gal with a 25 gal capacity. the second question is does any one have an idea where the sound is coming from and will a fluid change likely settle the prob?

D6c10K

Correct me If I'm wrong, but doesn't it have an oil-to-water heat exchanger on the left side of the engine? If it's leaking that would let antifreeze leak into the trans. Is coolant level low?

Don't know about the noise, or best way to flush it out...I'm sure someone here can tell you.

Essayons

Best i can help is by offering you the full service manuals for this particular tractor, if your interested. For free mind you.

Last edited:

rhudson1

I have the orig operators manual and basic owners manual but the 2 only go into basic fluid and grease locations. no detailed info at all.....i am very interested in the service manuals if avail. thank you

rhudson1

I was wondering the same.. I noticed 2 lines from under the cab to an exchange on the left side of the engine but i need a manual to decide how it all works or someone to tell me... I have heat and a/c and i noticed the heater hoses running to the same exchange. i will check the rad fluid.....any ideas on flushing out the trans? cheapest way? then replacing the fluid with good grade oil just to get the water out.

D6c10K

Here's a page from then engine manual for the 3306 in my D6c...should be similar to the D7f...

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 933

rhudson1

I would like to get a copy of that book if possible. hope ESSAYONS' book is the same.
where did you get it? Does it show schematics on the trans etc?

D6c10K

The scan is from the engine manual for my D6c (both the d6c and 7f use basically the same engine, but many attached parts will be different)

You can often find used manuals on e-bay or you can still get them from Cat. They'll sell individual manuals or the whole parts/service set, which is about $400...not cheap, but invaluable if you end up doing quite a bit of work on the tractor yourself.

Chris91786

Occupation
CAT HE Technician - Ring Power Corp.
The scan is from the engine manual for my D6c (both the d6c and 7f use basically the same engine, but many attached parts will be different)

You can often find used manuals on e-bay or you can still get them from Cat. They'll sell individual manuals or the whole parts/service set, which is about $400...not cheap, but invaluable if you end up doing quite a bit of work on the tractor yourself.

SIS Web FTW

D6c10K

SIS Web FTW

Yea, I forgot to mention Cat's online SIS (service information system) for parts lookup....but you have to have an account to use it.

I don't know of any access to Service Manuals online from Cat...that would be nice.

LonestarCobra

Most of the time when a trans oil cooler goes bad, you have oil in the coolant also. Ther is usually enough pressure in the oil side of the cooler to overcome the pressure on the antifreeze side, and the oil gets pumped into the coolant. If you have a trans. pump or scavenge pump with siezed up bushings, you may hear a squeling noise. Cat oil is made by Mobil. It is worth the extra money in the long run to use the good oil. We have flushed with diesel and oil 50/50 mixture in an extreme case before to remove some serious sludge due to rain entry. Usually an oil change and 12 hours of working the machine, and another oil and filter change will rid you of the water. I would find the noise and check it out before I did anything else.

Essayons

I have tried emailing the manuals for this machine but he hasn't received them yet. I think the size is a little large to email (52MB), does anyone have any suggestions as how i could go about only emailing small parts at a time. The file is in pdf format and i can't figure out how to send just parts.

rhudson1

will a oil test confirm or deny coolant in trans. and or will fluid test confirm or deny trans fluid in the coolant? also any idea on the noise from the left side of the machine. if you lift the seat and look into the compartment it is coming from the right side. if i get out of the machine i can hear the noise from the left side under the battery box...does any one agree that if water is in the fluid and heated it will not have adequate oil to lube valves etc and cause a squeal? or is there bearings in the pumps that could be squealing. no metal in the magnet screen which is a good sign

rhudson1

if you get out of the forums and send it by email only i should be able to recv large files. i have recvd an entire seadoo manual from the email. but I am not the best when it comes to computers or obviously transmissons. but i greatly appreciate the effort

LonestarCobra

An oil sample will confirm if there is Glycol in the oil. A clean magnetic screen is good, but I would cut the paper element filter also, as they usually trap the non-magnetic stuff in the system as well. Look at the bottom of your radiator cap and your transmission fill cap. If they have been cross contaminating, there will be a tan colored sludge present. On those tractors there is lots of places for rainwater to enter the transmission oil compartments if everything is not sealed up good.

Essayons

if you get out of the forums and send it by email only i should be able to recv large files. i have recvd an entire seadoo manual from the email. but I am not the best when it comes to computers or obviously transmissons. but i greatly appreciate the effort

I am trying to send it to you through my email, not sure why it won't go through. I haven't gotten a message telling me it wouldn't go through and i managed to send it to a friend who received it fine. I will keep trying because i think the manual would steer you in the right direction.

billyclaymyers

Esayons, I too have a D7F that is currently working great, but I would appreciate a copy of the manual as well. Also I may be able to offer a FTP site that you could upload too and then I could download it as well as the other gentleman who needs it. my email is billyclaymyers@gmail.com and I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
William C. Myers

rhudson1

ESSAYONS got me then manual and it is greatly appreciated. now I know what is around the area of the loud noise. I think it is the steering clutch...is this a wet clutch oiled by trans fluid or is it a dry clutch...could be moisture prob either way I guess.. any ideas