• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any tricks for replacing hyd hoses on articulated machines at the swivel joint?

Acoals

Occupation
Jack of all trades/Master of none
I keep fire sleeve and spiral wrap in stock. I prefer the slickness of the spiral wrap as well as its hardened protective qualities over the fire sleeve. Fire sleeve does its job to contain a spraying leak so I use it in certain applications, sometimes using both types of overlay together to ensure a longer lasting repair or preventing what I know is a bad contact situation.

That is what I do, generally sleeving on internal stuff, wrapping on external hoses such as out on the boom of the excavator.

I find that zip tying the ends of the fire sleeve real good helps keep the dirt out and cuts down on the bunching. Usually two or three zip ties, as tight as possible.

That's a brutal amount of dust; I have worked in pit conditions feeding a dry screen plant where I had to bang the air filters out twice a day, but the picture you have posted is about twice the dust of those conditions. You must spend an hour a day cleaning things out . . .

Welder Dave

I don't understand why it matters exactly where the leak is, it's in that piece of hose.
It's in the hose, you don't apply a patch.
When you dig it all out, then you can see where the leak was, measure off the machine to find what rubbed if anything.

fire sleeving is to keep you from burning up in a fireball.
It's not for abrasion.
With a hose in a sleeve, leaks aren't always instantly discovered if it's a small leak. A hose could leak for quite a while before you even noticed you're losing fluid. If there are multiple hoses in a sleeve can be a pain trying to find the leak. Some OEM hoses come with the sleeve attached using a metal ring on the back of the fitting. Having hoses individually sleeved would be my choice. If several hoses need to be bundled wrap them with large spiral hose wrap.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
With a hose in a sleeve, leaks aren't always instantly discovered if it's a small leak. A hose could leak for quite a while before you even noticed you're losing fluid. If there are multiple hoses in a sleeve can be a pain trying to find the leak. Some OEM hoses come with the sleeve attached using a metal ring on the back of the fitting. Having hoses individually sleeved would be my choice. If several hoses need to be bundled wrap them with large spiral hose wrap.
I have never seen a multiple hoses in one fire sleeve.

Spiral wrap will hide just as well.

If you remove and don't replace OEM fire sleeving from a customers machine
that's just wrong, and some one could burn up in a fire.

Welder Dave

It sounds like Treemunchers machine had multiple hoses in a sleeve. I've seen it before on other machines. Leaks are much easier to find with the pastic spiral wrap and it's easy to remove and reuse. I think you can get non flammable hyd. oil as well.