• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Any tricks to get JIC fittings started in cramped area's?

Welder Dave

I had to give up and come home because I was getting too frustrated. I need to figure out a way to get a hose fitting started. I put the new solenoids on the articulation valve and checked them with a 12 volt battery and they work. I managed to get the valve back in and the bottom return line installed. When I took all the lines off there wasn't much oil at all but after sitting for over a week it leaked a lot. I took the plastic cap off one connection under the machine and about 1/2 a liter gushed out all over my leg. There was no oil even dripping when I took the line off. I had a drain pain under the valve but the supply line slowly overflowed it. Seemed weird since there wasn't much oil when I took the lines off. I guess gravity does weird things over time.

I have 3 hoses to connect from the top side, 2 at the back and 1 on top. The 1st one at the back is the problem. It fits beside the other work port and the 90 deg. connection is kind of underneath the other 90 deg. fitting so there's not a lot of room to get at it. I can't put a wrench on it from the side I'm working on but can reach under the oil pan from the other side once I get the fitting started. I can grab the hose and pull it up on the flare but can't get the threads to catch. I can only turn the nut a little with my fingers while pulling it with the other hand. I think that's the problem, pulling the hose up puts pressure on the swivel so it's harder to turn and get the perfect angle. Other fittings the nut turns easily because you don't have pull the hose on at the same time and there's better access. Short of having a helper does anyone have any tricks on how to pull hoses up and get the nut started? I would have had the valve in if it weren't that 1 fitting. I know sometimes walking away is the best thing to do when things just aren't working right. How can I be smarter than the darn fitting? It's the #55 fittings in the pic.

Last edited:

56wrench

Sometimes i use a ratchet strap or tarp strap/bungee cord to help hold stuff in position as required or out of the way as required like electrical harnesses or hoses

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Just fought that battle today with six fittings in cramped spaces. JIC threads are cantankerous and must be started straight. I've used ratchet straps several times along with bungee straps to help align things. Don't start tightening till you know they're straight and started or you'll be replacing them.....

Welder Dave

Not any room to get a ratchet strap on the hose but I went back out today and used a ratchet strap to hold the big hose on top up out if the way. I was using a block of wood on the valve to lift it yesterday. I got really really lucky today. I managed to get the hose at the right angle and could turn the nut just enough for the 1st thread to catch. I could only turn it about 1/16" but it was enough to hold it in place so I could go the other side of the machine and reach under the oil pan with a small crescent wrench and turn it. Not a lot of room for a 7/8" wrench but I used a wrench for final tightening. The PIA fitting is under the big hose in the 1st pic. You can see it better in the 2nd pic.

Attachments

• 20230902_141118.jpg
    20230902_141118.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 16
  • 20230902_141211.jpg
    20230902_141211.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16

Welder Dave

I had to pull the hose up and twist it with my left hand and then reach under the big hose with my right hand to get my fingers behind and come up under the nut to try and turn it. I was thinking there should be a tool like a small wrench to fit the nut but it's half round and knurled so it easier to turn the nut and your fingers don't slip.

Welder Dave

I had thought maybe a crows foot would work or a stubby wrench but being 7/8" I couldn't an individual one. A crows foot with a half moon or less outer shape with a rough surface for your fingers wouldn't rely on the short little handle being in the right position so you could turn it. Magnetic wouldn't be a bad idea either. I thought about buying a cheap wrench and cutting it. It would have been easier with 2 people because the person on the opposite side could see when it was lined up close and turn the nut.

hosspuller

Next time ... Make a loop of string or small diameter rope. Use the loop to make a Prussic loop on the hydraulic line. This gives you a helpful loop to pull or hold the line.

Attachments

• loop.jpg
    loop.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 2

Welder Dave

I hope there isn't a next time. LoL It would been a lot easier with 2 people. It was hard to turn the nut to get it started especially with hose pulled up tight. JIC go on easy if you can just pull the nut up instead of pushing the hose against the nut. I bought some gloves with rubber fingers to help grip the nut but if they got a drop of oil on them were useless. A little bulky for the space too. Putting a ratchet strap on the big hose helped a lot because I could get my hand in behind and under better. I think I just got really lucky the one time and got the nut up to the threads and then twisting the hose just right to get it to kind of catch on the threads. It's one of those if I had to do it again probably wouldn't be able to by myself. I was so frustrating fighting with it. Little did I know some would show up that could have helped me. If no one would have showed up I probably would never got it. Kind of like if you wash your vehicle sure enough you'll get a freak rain storm the next day. If you don't wash it won't rain.