• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anybody pull a mechanical detach trailer without air ride?

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
I look at youtube and such and everybody pulling one of these has an air ride tractor. I'm wondering if anyone uses a spring ride tractor for pulling one of these? Be interested in knowing how the detachment of the neck is done without the air suspension.

I don't see it as a problem to engineer around it myself with my spring ride Mack tractor, but wondering about other's ideas.

I know spring ride is considered cruel and unusual punishment these days but I still like it for a truck that sets more than operates.

Thanks,

Truck Shop

Depends on ground bearing and non ground bearing and if tractor is built with after frame
fifthwheel ramps. I used a Hyster 35 ton ground bearing type with cylinder to raise/lift neck
front of trailer and Hyster non ground bearing that would tilt the front deck and solid/fixed
neck that required frame ramps. In most cases after frame ramps are good to have in case
of uneven ground.

Last edited:

1693TA

Occupation
Hi TS, no hydraulics involved at all with the trailer type I'm referencing. Strictly mechanical operation. The one I'm looking at possibly is a TrailKing MG80 series. Typically you support the neck with a timber across the rear frame rails of the tractor when detached but the suspension must drop to make this work.

Thanks,

Truck Shop

Hi TS, no hydraulics involved at all with the trailer type I'm referencing. Strictly mechanical operation. The one I'm looking at possibly is a TrailKing MG80 series. Typically you support the neck with a timber across the rear frame rails of the tractor when detached but the suspension must drop to make this work.

Thanks,
Correct.

Old Doug

A place i worked at did . That has been several years ago . The truck didnt have any thing like frame ramps. I know we used wood blocks under the trailer alot. It can be done and wouldnt be that bad if some thought was put to it.

Shimmy1

It can be done, but that extra 3-4" you gain by dumping the air ride has to be made up somewhere. Full-length ramps will almost certainly be necessary, might want to consider trimming the end of the frame rails to get more ramp angle. Holding up the neck is not the issue, getting back under a load is the real problem.

1693TA

Occupation
Great all are on the same page with this. I was hoping a couple of hydraulic cylinders pushing up from the rear of the tractor didn't sound too far fetched to support the neck when detached. I need to drop my 5th wheel and tail roller down to the more standard 48" height from the current 52", (or do away with roller) and no problems rebuilding to current needs. I don't have a wet kit installed, but don't mind incorporating one. Two hydraulic cylinders placed to the inside of the rear impact guard on the truck stroking up pushing a section of channel against the trailer neck for support sounds as if it would work.
080.JPG

1693TA

Occupation
Thanks. Didn't want to reinvent the wheel. Think I have everything needed on hand already except possibly cylinders to repurpose. Just have never seen this done myself so went looking on youtube before asking here.

Truck Shop

A friend owns this home/shop built-there were two built alike. Notice the Hydraulic cylinder
vertical, it has a plate that covers to frame to raise/lower the neck for rehook. He only has
rigs with walking beam so this works well for him.
008.JPG

crane operator

Every mechanical detach I've been around when loading/ unloading has been a pain in the ass. Of course I'm just there usually loading or unloading them, and occasionally hooking the crane onto the trailer to help them get hooked back up.

I guess it would be fine if you were only ever on flat dry pavement. But good luck if its soft, muddy or slick. Heaven forbid you get high centered on a train track or a hump in the pavement on a off cambered corner intersection.

A guy who used to haul my RT, would regularly get hung up where my driveway meets the county road.

Its no fun to kick in the pumps and go raise the neck, but at least I have pumps, and can go raise the neck.

1693TA

Occupation
Sure seems practical and fitting the need. If this trailer didn't have a deck over the neck something like that would work well and extremely simple in construction.

That impact guard on the back of my tractor is very stout constructed of 2.50" square 1/4" wall tubing and welded solid. I'm thinking to weld mounts to the inside of this thing on the lower horizontal bar to pin cylinder bases to and supporting weldments at the top for the cylinders holding them at a slight forward angle. These pushing against a section of 8" pipe to bear against the neck beams would provide for the natural "roll" needed as the neck was lifted or dropped; although very minor in angularity change.

JaredV

If you're willing to put a wet kit on the truck, why not just get a hydraulic neck? I've never been around a mechanical trailer so I don't know what they can do.

1693TA

Occupation
I would like to find a folder that was not absolutely worn out. I really liked mine at the time and when I went into the military sold it but kept the tractor. Trailer was nice but only seven years old at that time. Mine was mechanical and the reason for the winch which I want to retain. A folder is not ruled out if I can find one in good condition but have not yet. Not looking to general freight, only my own stuff.

Mechanical detach trailers are great for parking lot to parking lot delivery. I know they can be a pain in construction sites but that really is not my focus.