• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone care to give me a crash course in contouring and swales with a CTL?

fastline

Looking like I may be into a job requiring rough and then final grade finishing and drilling seed. The issue is I have several swales that need done for drainage. I grew up with 3pt box blades and hydro tilt so gouging and working a swale seemed easier. Just trying to get some strategy from more experienced operators. I'd say some of these swales may only be 3-5ft wide, so not like I can just plow up a channel, then feather that out.

In many ways, probably something that those cute 6way dozer blades could do on a CTL......but I ain't got one. Have no idea what they can handle anyway. They look light.

MG84

A swale that narrow is going to be really tough with a loader, unless you can work it from the side as mentioned above. If you have to work it straight on, the only ways to cut the angles are by starting with one track in a depression/ditch, or up on a mound of dirt on the high side. Get it roughed in by digging and piling, then back drag to finish. Sometimes you have to carry a little dirt in just the right or left side of the bucket to touch up. They do make a tilt attachment for SS/CTL buckets but I've never tried one. Is there a reason the swales have to be that narrow?

fastline

A swale that narrow is going to be really tough with a loader, unless you can work it from the side as mentioned above. If you have to work it straight on, the only ways to cut the angles are by starting with one track in a depression/ditch, or up on a mound of dirt on the high side. Get it roughed in by digging and piling, then back drag to finish. Sometimes you have to carry a little dirt in just the right or left side of the bucket to touch up. They do make a tilt attachment for SS/CTL buckets but I've never tried one. Is there a reason the swales have to be that narrow?
It's just a tight area where a larger swale would not be practical. It is basically just a small incision next to a rock driveway, to channel water along it but not over it.

However, you may have given me the thought I needed which is to simply make a few cuts 90* to the swale to start the contour I desire, then get back aligned with the swale and step into that cut and get it on. Similar to how you might gouge with a 6 way blade, then level it out once you are riding that angle.

I am just trying to dream on some of this before I ever waste the fuel and hours jacking with it. there is also another small berm, only about 4ft wide and 1ft tall that needs done, and I know they want perfection there.

If you can't tell, I am questioning my lack of seat time in finish work in a CTL. Done plenty of work and hogging, but where I came from, the D4 6 way guys would get things stupid close, and we would tune with a 3pt box blade and turf tires.