• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone ever seen anything like this before!?!

ronburgandy

an excavator on top of a building!!!
i got the pics off another fourm but i would have loved to have been there!!
They saved the facade of the old legion building and and are integrating it into the construction of a new 50+ ft tower including an 8 story parkade spanning 2 blocks
so much excavating being done in calgary it's unbelieveable!!!

theres some more pics of the bow building pit at this link:

http://s137.photobucket.com/albums/q205/missedfit/bow building construction/

also, why would they approach the demolition this way?

Attachments

• img0815qb5.jpg
    img0815qb5.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,690
  • bow-sept14-3.jpg
    bow-sept14-3.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,684
  • bow-dec11-2.jpg
    bow-dec11-2.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 1,661
  • yorktwoxd4.jpg
    yorktwoxd4.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,672
  • yorkoneyp8-1.jpg
    yorkoneyp8-1.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 1,666

Highwood5

That must be for Encana's 59 story "Bow" project. I'm surprised you can put an excavator on those old floors up thier without overloading the floor itself.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
That must be for Encana's 59 story "Bow" project. I'm surprised you can put an excavator on those old floors up thier without overloading the floor itself.

It looks to me like a pad is on the roof for the machine to sit on, and almost certainly the floors will be propped below.

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I have ran one on top of a building, but not anything that high. Its not any worse then demoing a land or water bridge. Just watch out for stair wells and elevator shafts.

Turbo21835

:D lol, thats got to be the understatement of the day :notworthy

Just wait until your the guy running a skid steer up there. You just is to push all the debris to the elevator shafts. Heard one story where a guy was pushing carpet into one. The carpet stayed hooked to the bucket. It tried to pull him down the elevator shaft :eek:

alco

Just wait until your the guy running a skid steer up there. You just is to push all the debris to the elevator shafts. Heard one story where a guy was pushing carpet into one. The carpet stayed hooked to the bucket. It tried to pull him down the elevator shaft :eek:

And people think I'm nuts for wanting to stay in a nice big open pit...pretty hard to fall anywhere when I'm already at the botom.

Brian

petersfamilytru

Underground...

Elder Demolition lowered a Case 9040 below Portland, Oregon and did some underground demolition. Pretty amazing to see a hoe that size being lowered into the ground.

BIGBEN2004

That is crazy. I wouldn't run that thing for any money. I bet the building moves allot every time that guy swings the machine around. It doesn't make sense, destroy the building that is holding you up?

Boophoenix

And people think I'm nuts for wanting to stay in a nice big open pit...pretty hard to fall anywhere when I'm already at the botom.

Brian

That's not always the case around here. I'll try to get a pic. One of the supers I work for was on a job where they dug a pit in a building to pour for a very large press. They had finished the pit parked the excavator and went to lunch.

Came back to find a large hole had fallin out from below the bucket ( at the botom of the pit ).

I wouldn't care to be on this building either!

Nice forum yall have here. It's been some entertaining reading for a couple of weeks. Cost me some zzzz's, but was worth it.

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver

A demo company around here had a guy fall down the elevator shaft in a skid steer and got lodge between the 7th and 8th floors, he was on the 13th floor when it happened, somehow he lived.

[-Agent-]

COPPA
Occupation
Student
A demo company around here had a guy fall down the elevator shaft in a skid steer and got lodge between the 7th and 8th floors, he was on the 13th floor when it happened, somehow he lived.

I would be like BOOM UP BOOM UP BOOM UP to get wedged in there. Sucks, that skid steer was probably totaled. :bash

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
That's what happens when you hire knuckle heads. The same company grabbed a skid steer with a grapple and put it on the roof of a building. Squeeze a little to much and you crush the machine, don't squeeze hard enough and bye bye $30,000 skid steer.

newjcb123uk

Don't cut that branch!

That cat up top should be ok as long as the operator remembers not to bite the land that keeps him safe - we've all seen the guys who chop the branch off that they are sitting on!!!

Turbo21835

That's what happens when you hire knuckle heads. The same company grabbed a skid steer with a grapple and put it on the roof of a building. Squeeze a little to much and you crush the machine, don't squeeze hard enough and bye bye $30,000 skid steer.

Its the mentality in the demo business. Last thing i did with a skid steer was unload it from a step deck. With my 110 volvo and a set of forks. Put one fork between the wheels, and one under the the lift arms, as there was no bucket on it. Why this way? because the truck driver loader the skid steer on, and put a big shear on the trailer behind it. That was the solution of one of our higher ups. Just like instead of building a cradle for our shears, we just flip them over with loaders or excavators. Rather than put them in a cradle where they sit nice, we would flip them so they would have the flat side sitting on the trailer

Demo companies do strange and crazy things. I know of a certain one that has an interesting project, and out of respect for them i wont let out all the details. Ill just say this. They are taking out a concrete structure that is 260 feet tall. The walls are very thick. They are doing it with a hammer, and they are doing it from the ground. They hammer away at it, then with some planning, they get the structure to fall straight down. 8 feet at a time.

Last edited: