• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone Have Tinted Windows?

Reuben Frazier

I’m considering tinting the windows on a new Cat before it gets dirty and I’d like some input on the matter. I’m strictly looking to cut down on the glare and for the record it’s only used during the daytime so dark conditions won’t be a problem plus it will only be the sides and rear since the front is poly. My main reason for thinking about it is I hate wearing sun glasses and simply looking to try something different. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

highwayghost

Occupation
Emissions Analyst
I never thought about it before on equipment but i think it would be cool:cool:. If the windows open then you could peek around the tint if needed. It's yours, make it like you want it. I would do the lightest available. It's not a limo :p.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
It would certainly help the AC system out in keeping the cab cool. I would keep it around 30% light passage. I think any darker and seeing into shadows and objects (people) at the sides of the machine might be difficult in some conditions.

farmerlund

Occupation
Farmer/ excavator
I have a 700J that came from LA. with dark tint all the way around. Really cuts down on the heat and glare. Cant use it in the dark with out opening the door to see. But that's not a problem..

Reuben Frazier

I don’t want anything to dark, I was thinking about something around 30% or so on the sides and 20% on the rear. You can’t see out of the rear anyway and they have reverse cameras so the rear isn’t a problem. I’m going to find someone to do it, if it doesn’t work out I can always remove it. Thanks for the input guys,

Cmark

Here in subtropical Australia, it's difficult to find a machine without tinted windows. Be aware though that if if you go too dark, people can't see the operator waving or signaling.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure someone posted a picture of an excavator here that had tinted windows, it also was from an area where the sun is intense.

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I can't remember where I saw it but I'm pretty sure someone posted a picture of an excavator here that had tinted windows, it also was from an area where the sun is intense.
Yeh, it's someone in AZ I think.... the guy with the breakers and stuff... bought a mini last year???forget his handle...

Last edited:

Blocker in MS

F7416F04-E32E-4D9A-B5EA-E7DE0A2EFD8C.jpeg CB32283D-864C-4123-BE99-4C596D3950DB.jpegCA153E35-A45C-425E-842E-36C45C7183F5.jpegI run 5% all the around on any tractor I have tinted. I have sat in few with 20 and 30% on them before. It is not dark enough for me. The worst is some tractors we used get off a crew in LA that were tinted all the way around except for an open strip about 14-16” wide in the front to run after dark. I always had a headache pretty quickly if I sat in one of those rigs very long. Maybe that is just my eyes, but constantly changing lighting conditions was very straining shortly. The picture below is on a clear day looking through my 5%. 76A6682E-D094-48F8-8028-677364F7E8BC.jpeg No, before anyone asks, I did not have anything to do with that fire!

Tenwheeler

A company I used to work with had windows tinted in their equipment. It was middle of the road shading but really helped with the A/C. A tint company came out and installed it. He laid out and cut the tint on the outside. Then removed the backing and installed it on the inside. Very nice job when finished.

Blocker in MS

Also, running at night even with 5% is not that big of a deal in certain situations. Generally we are in large areas with minimal other equipment. If you have good lighting it is not a big deal. Dawn and dusk are worse than total darkness I think.

The glare at night from anything illuminated in the cab is far worse. It is hard to get thing dim enough at night not to be at least a bother.

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
Gotta love pictures of Big Red Steigers!

Tenwheeler

That looks really dark from the outside in.
My eyes normally like welding helmet settings at or near the maximum light side. I just do not thank that I could work with that at twilight and beyond.
What does a picture from the inside look like? Is 40% darker or lighter?

Reuben Frazier

The pic is somewhat deceiving, standing outside of it you can see in fairly easily, the front window isn’t tinted at all. Looking out it’s like having a really light pair of sunglasses on but all the glare is pretty much completely gone which is what I was trying to achieve.

The lower the number of tint the darker it is, I’ll take a pic from inside when I go back out.

Reuben Frazier

He didn’t have a lot of fun doing it but he just slid the seat all the way back and then up to get them, he’s done a a lot of equipment was it wasn’t his first time doing them. I’ve had all of my stuff since tinted and you couldn’t pay me to run anything without it.