• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone hedging fuel to take advantage of prices?

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
just curious if anyone is prepaying fuel well in advance (months/years), if so how far do you go out? and what quantity (% of daily use)? do you work with your fuel company or do something in the futures market seperately from your daily supplier?

i havent been doing anything.... but i try to market the heck out of the grain we produce. (and on the grain, a 3 year old could have done better than i have lately...)

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
what about buying in bulk now and storing granted anymore gas is like milk goes bad in about a month but hey its better to buy it cheap and hope the price doesn;t go down more or you get lucky and it goes up then you have all this fuel for cheap for a month or two i think that would be the way to go buy 1000 gal and store it buy fuel while its cheap at the pump and then use your resoirve when it goes up but if it goes back up like it ws when its been this low for so long and has come back down this low i think there will be alot of angry people in a line for the oil companies heads

Dwan Hall

Occupation
Self Employed
I have a 1000 gal tank setting empty waiting for the price to start going up. I will fill it as soon as I see an increase. right now it is $3.859/gal for #2. We usually lag behind the folks down south by a month or so on price changes. So ours is still going down.

bobcatmechanic

Occupation
bobcat mechanic
do you have your fuel inside to keep from gelling or do you have some sort of blanket on your tank being up in alaska curios becuase of the temps up there fluctuating and just being cold

KMB83

Occupation
farmer
i hear you guys saying, you go as far out as storage capacity/lifetime allows you. no forward contracts. i was just curious how about some the big contractors? anyone know what they do?

natemcmurtrey

Occupation
field mechanic
I'm a mechanic so I can't estimate how far ahead to purchase. Based on your work picture, but I can give you some technical advise.

The lubrication additive in low sulfur(#2) diesel will only last an estimated 28 days. If you have any teir 3 engines that are still under warranty. Keep that number in mind, because a fuel system problem will require a fuel sample for warranty payment. I am giving that advise from recent experience.

surfer-joe

Fuel prices are very stable at the moment, but I'm reading that oil storage in the U.S is full and VLCC's are being used as storage in harbors now as there is no place available to store what they have on board. I hope the government has restarted buying crude for the strategic reserve now as prices are so low. I can't imagine they will stay that way for long though, as summer driving and construction picks up. Prices will surely rise, plus, lots of states are now increasing fuel taxes. The economy may prove me wrong if it keeps going south.

There were some firms that bought futures a couple of years ago that did well last year. They didn't take delivery of any at the time of purchase, just later on as they needed it. Some Airlines do this too, but they can predict fuel consumption from past needs, others that have some yearly consumption figures could possibly do that. It's risky if prices drop, if they go up the purchasing agent becomes a hero. Most of these firms use a lot of fuel, so it doesn't sit long.

I can't see much justification for hedging on small lots. The savings isn't that much and fuel taxes are a write off on business returns anyway. Nate McMurtrey has another good point. Diesel doesn't store well for long periods of time, especially in above ground tanks. On older engines that wasn't so bad, they could handle fairly cruddy fuel so long as it was well filtered. Newer diesels, it's too much of a risk.

zhkent

Occupation
Earthmoving
Contract price around here was over $ .50 higher than current cost, so hard to want to do that.

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
I have all the storage tanks full of clear diesel at $2.16 per gal. includes all taxes. Yes store it. I treat bulk diesel with Pride D and it will keep 1 year, and it can be retreated. I think the price can go up real quick. All it takes is a Middle East conflict to break out, buy low and store it you can't loose. Plus we have a California 4/1/09 tax increase of $.15 a gallon to.

ddigger

Occupation
contractor,owner operater
Well I`m not sure if this counts, but I just bought a fair amount of an oil stock. So if prices skyrocket again I guess I could call it a loose win situation, instead of the last price spike where it was a loose loose situation. Time will tell.

Cretebaby

Contract price around here was over $ .50 higher than current cost, so hard to want to do that.

IDK if you were loking to pay for it know or not but we bought 2000 gallons a month ago

Our supplier will just deliver it as needed

Then we could have contracted enough for the year for $0.30 over cash price at the time. we didint but know I wish we would have seeing how it has already gone up $0.25

DarrylMueller

Occupation
Excavating Contractor & Operator
Fuel will go up

IDK if you were loking to pay for it know or not but we bought 2000 gallons a month ago

Our supplier will just deliver it as needed

Then we could have contracted enough for the year for $0.30 over cash price at the time. we didint but know I wish we would have seeing how it has already gone up $0.25

That is a great way if you don't have storage. I would get 12 months supply if they will store it for .30 you can't go wrong.