• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

anyone here own a 580k

otis

I traded mine in last summer but I definitely got my money worth out of it. Took a good beating working on rock most of the time. Good machine!

Lashlander

93 4X4
Excellent machine except it started having electrical problems the day it arrived.
Why do you ask?

case310350

trying to figure out if I have a converter problem. all my other machine were clutch driven. this machine seems sluggish.

Lashlander

Ours never was a ball of fire going down the highway. When it was new I was driving it down road when another 580 super E pulled out on the road up a ways. We were on hill and I thought I,d push him up the hill. He just walked away from me. His was turbo'ed but I was shocked.

Osborne ent.

Occupation
self employed, Covience store,lever puller,documen
580 k

580 k Like the machine basic maint. Hoses,batteries,did have to replace kingpin from over grease. Will push as much as a small dozer and very versatile. Still looking to buy a small excavator 18k.

nilzlofgren

I've had a 1990 580K for 9 years now, and it treats me like gold. Its basic, non turbo, orops, standard hoe, 4X4. My only complaint, was that it came with a single 600 CCA battery. I swaped that out for 2 950 CCA and wired it 4/0. Now, it would have no trouble starting in antarctica.:bouncegri

mflah87

Occupation
owner of excavating company
I had a 580K and it had electricial problems fromthe start. i guess its a K series thing my father told me

illinoisboy

Occupation
contractor
I have a 90 580 K ext-hoe, 4x4. wiring issues, as well, no lights, nothing:( And my 4wd wont engage sometimes. the lever is stuck it seems. Any thoughts?

Phil

Occupation
retired operator and mechanic
I've got a '92 4x4 that I'm working on. While replacing the floor panel, I found the pivot point for the 4x4 lever which was seized solid. There is a grease fitting on it. We finally got it freed up after greasing it. Major wiring problems also. Phil

WB Automotive

Occupation
Apprentice Mechanic
I have a 580 B that wont start. there is a remanufactered injection pump on the machine and its getting fuel to the pump but nothing to the injectors. any one can help.

Grant5127

I bought a '89 3 weeks ago....... nothing electrical works except the tach & fuel gauge.......... doesn't seem to be sluggish tho..........haven't had time to jack with it much..........:(

bill onthehill

I have owned a 1988 k for 5 years. Dang tough machine. After some repairs I now have everything working except the tach and the hand brake. It is so nice to have all the lights front and rear to see where you are going. I have dug some very tough rock with it and loaded a lot of dirt. Just getting to the point of needing new batteries before winter.

Bartlanz

Occupation
Field Service Engineer
I bought an 87 580k 4x4 w a full cab last fall, all of my lights work, it has a radio (it works) the directionals work (both in the cab and outside) My tach works... actually all of the stuff on the cluster works except for maybe the fuel guage... but if the fuel goes low enough it reads it... even the heat blower! most of my electrical problems have been based around one fuse in the engine compartment that seems to have bad contact and inturn over heats and blows... I love my machine though, she is great and works like Heck!