• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Anyone see this yet? Deere 1050K

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
I doubt CAT is worried about John Deere trying to get into the D8T class of machines.

Dickjr.

If Cat had come out with this I'm sure it would be the best thing since a pocket on a shirt. As for resale , the Deere machines that are hydro now have a relatively high resale comparable to the almighty. I looked at a 650H when I bought my D39 , It had double the hours and was 10k $ higher in price. To me price depends on what a person is willing to pay. A for previous hydro machines , Case a good one in the 1550, they really never took off. Very nimble. I ran one a short period compared to a D6D it was on par. I do know the one I speak of had an issue , the owner repaired it his self , did not do what Case recommended as far as flushing the system. It failed again in 200 hrs. I think it was powered by the 8.3 cummins.

alco

I would imagine that the fist ones out of the gate will have a few issues, but they will work the bugs out I'm sure. I can see them selling quite a few. I remember all the folks saying the 850Cs would never sell, and basing their comments on the old 850s and 850Bs. Looks like they've been pretty well accepted at this point. I know it took a while to get there, but they've pretty much proved they will work, and they will sell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well they actually do, and what they change with time.

R.D.G013

Occupation
Heavy equipment operator/foreman for about 48yrs o
I would imagine that the fist ones out of the gate will have a few issues, but they will work the bugs out I'm sure. I can see them selling quite a few. I remember all the folks saying the 850Cs would never sell, and basing their comments on the old 850s and 850Bs. Looks like they've been pretty well accepted at this point. I know it took a while to get there, but they've pretty much proved they will work, and they will sell.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how well they actually do, and what they change with time.

With Cat going down the electric road with the D 7E it will be interesting to see if that takes off in other size machines, they say there is something like 60% less moving parts, better fuel economy and diesel electric drive has been around for yrs in railway Locos and has proven itself in them. Will be interesting to see!!!.

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
"A for previous hydro machines , Case a good one in the 1550, they really never took off. Very nimble. I ran one a short period compared to a D6D it was on par. "

I have run across quite a few Case machines in my career as an operator and have been impressed by their courage to try new things but not in their execution.It seems like they can get fancy with their separate track drives and all that but having good balance goes right over their head.I think by putting an oversize blade on their dozers implies that they can use that big blade effectively and the consumer thinks that they must be a great machine or it wouldn't be there.I personally never got comfortable with the jerking that occurs while steering when working close to structures when spreading topsoil or putting in a road base.
Their backhoes are very good and some of their later 4digit model number track hoes are excellent but they were built by Sumitomo as were Link-Belt and are very nice to run.The Case loaders are ok too but they articulate from the wrong end.....I mean,what were they thinking?Hough carried that ball for a long time and they originated it to be sure.The biggest Case dozer I ever ran was an 1150 but it was the old style,I have run some of the newer ones but face it,I have been spoiled.LOL.Just for reference,I thought the D6D was a little nose heavy too.Ron G

Last edited:

westerveld

All I've run is case dozers so I don't really know any better lol. I own a 850k case dozer and so far it's been great, don't know why case seems to be bashed all the time,

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I seem to remember some juice drive Deere dozers built in the late to mid seventies. The complaints then were that they got hot fast in any kind of hard pushing. They went back to the iron drives and later on when the pumps and motors improved they brought them back out. I've worked on plenty of iron drives from Cat, Komatsu International and even Deere or two. From what I've seen the juice drives are great in small dozers because they aren't running a blade full for 200 to 400 feet straight down and backing back up a slope. I have seen those motors and pumps get real hot when they get some wear and slippage in them and it doesn't take much crap in the oil to cause that. The cost to repair a shot gunned component in a juice drive will likely cause a total loss on the machine.

So to speak in a general way about the possible problems with a juice drive of that size I would say that contamination and heat are going to be the maintenance issues to be very cognizant of. I'm betting that tractor will requires some very expensive hydraulic and transmission oil filters. I would guess it will have an oversized cooling system, especially when worked in long steep slot dozing with heavy ripping that that size of machine will be expected to accomplish. I would be interested in what kind of access is available for working on the pumps and motors. What is is going to take to remove the final drives? I would want to know what kind of electronic system I have to work with and whether or not I'm expected to pay licensing to have access to the software. Who makes the undercarriage and how much does it cost to replace it when worn out? What should I expect for life out of the blade and costs for working the ripper? Does the factory run an exchange program for the major components?

I think the juice drives work at least as well or better than the iron drives in certain situations. Building logging roads would likely be a very good use for this machine. I like it when someone wants to try something new but it will take time to prove out this machine. I will be leery of it for a couple of years before I recommend someone try it with out certain factory guarantees of operation and cost per unit moved.

Mobiltech

Occupation
Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
A hydrostatic machine is ok as long as you keep it clean and sealed. One blown hose running the system out of oil will usually shorten it's life dramatically. I know a lot of operators who won't stop until the machine stops. Then if the guy changing the hose gets dirt in the high pressure loop you will really have problems.
I've seen some pretty ugly oil and contaminants in a power shift with no problems.

Trashman

Occupation
Garboligist
We have a 5 year old 1050J and it has been a good machine. This next summer we are going to order a new 1050K. Being all John Deere the K should be even better.

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
If deere really wants this to take off and they think they think they can compete with the D8 all they have to do is.......Put as many as they can afford into there dealers rental departments and subsidize the rent to be 10% cheaper than a D8 and get them out there to prove they can be as reliable and be serviced as good as a D8. 90% of contractors would eat this kind of marketing up in a heart beat!!! It is not tough to find how many 90K dozers are sold or rented each year and they could easily decide they wanted to have 10% or more of that market and dump that many dozers into there dealer rental inventories until they were back ordered for a year then wa-la instant market share in a short time.......no risk no reward................TIO

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
that's the best way to get a salesman pushing a new fangled piece of iron to go away it tell them to bring it to me 20% cheaper than the proven models or I will pay the same price as proven models but..... they have to service and repair it for 10,000Hrs and supply a loaner when it's down. For some reason all of a sudden they don't have as much faith in their new machine as they did when they were trying to sell it to me at list price and soon disappear Liebherr was the last one.( oh we are coming in this market we are are your new dealer we are going to sell a lot of machines in your market). my question was how are you going to do that when you are 10% higher than every body else and I have those prices bought and financed on those machines right there bought in the last 6 months .and buy the way how many times have I heard this from your manufacture over the last 30years. haven't seen him since

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
I talked to a Kiewit service manager back in the late 90's about some 5130 cat excavators they had bought new, they had so many problems with them cat had provided a second machine for each they bought new so they always had one to run! Curious if this was after a lawsuit or did cat just take responsibility?... TIO

clintm

Occupation
trucking,concrete recycling,grading, demolition
isn't Kiewit the largest single private owner of cat equipment in the world I think that would help even with CAT:thumbsup