• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Approximate Year and Size of This Old Cat

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Good morning, gentlemen. I have driven by this machine for years and finally decided to stop and have a look. She's pretty big. Maybe a D-8? It is parked at a heavy truck repair shop and I didn't really want to stick around too long with nobody around, so I snapped some quick pics and was on my way. So, anyone care to take a stab at the year and model?

oldequipment010.jpg

oldequipment009.jpg

oldequipment008.jpg

oldequipment007.jpg

oldequipment002.jpg

oldequipment001.jpg

Hmmmm.... don't know why I can't upload pics directly here. I don't have a problem on other sites.

I just noticed it says D-8 on the winch. D'oh!

Last edited:

X Quad Operator

I think it looks like a D8-14A the floor boards don't look long enough to be a D8-15A and it has to have a front end unit.

Mike Nebergall

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
If you can get a picture of the serial number plate or just get the serial number off the machine then I'm sure someone on here will be able to get you exact information on that machine.

X Quad Operator

Good morning ACcrazy are you close enough to go back and get a photo of the serial number like 95zIV suggested? I sorta remember, and it's been a long time for me, there was as serial number on the bottom of the dash down next to the floor boards beside the compression release, I dont remember a serial number on that vintage D8 on the back left side of the winch like the 46A's had through the present model tractors of today, the serial numbers there usually stamped there if the serial number tag is missing, look foe the head of the rivets there usually there. Enjoy today. Go look at my question I asked the other day maybe you might be able to answer my question.

Mike Nebergall

Old Magnet

Definately a 14A, the 15A would have two more gauges for torque converter temperature and pressure. Also the shift pattern is different. S/N locations are on the rear of the steering clutch case (hidden by winch) and the left rear of the main engine behind the pony transmission.

Last edited:

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Thanks for all the responses; you guys are great! I have no real reason for wanting this info. other than just curiosity sake.
X Quad, yes, I'm close enough to go have another snoop around. Maybe I'll do that and get a couple more pics.

On a related note, a riding buddy of mine is gonna show me another old Cat sitting for years out in the woods. We're going for a ride today and that's one of the stops we're making. I'll grab some pics of it as well and post them here.

Kelly

Occupation
Retired/OE Local #3
No question that old girl is a 14A. as OM said is correct on the gauges. Also look a little lower on the dash and you’ll see the shifting diagram showing a 5 speed transmission.
Kelly

X Quad Operator

Good morning Buckethead, thats defenately a 13A with that front end unit, and the engine calouing, what a neat find it's a shame that there's not more people in the United States restoring older equiptment when you find something that looks as good as this 13A.

Mike Nebergall

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Wow, so the second one is a D-8 as well? I thought it might be a 7 because it is quite a bit smaller than the first one.
Ya know, it wouldn't be too hard to salvage this old girl; it's only about 50 yards off a 2 lane paved county road. There's a residence not far as well. Some dogs were barking a little way off-- I'm sure because they could hear us crunching around on the dried out leaves and sticks and whatnot.
It's unfortunate the exhaust pipe had rotted off and the manifold left uncovered. So there's no doubt the engine's full of water. :(

ACcrazy

Occupation
Mechanic
Not a Cat but still a cool old dozer left to die of rust. They pulled it off the main logging road after it quit steering. Been there since the '70s. Allis-Chalmers HD-21. My uncle and I tried to buy it in the early '90s but they weren't selling.

hd16xr500carb023.jpg

hd16xr500carb022.jpg

hd16xr500carb021.jpg

hd16xr500carb020.jpg

hd16xr500carb019.jpg

hd16xr500carb018.jpg

hd16xr500carb017.jpg

hd16xr500carb015.jpg

hd16xr500carb016.jpg

hd16xr500carb014.jpg

Old Magnet

That second set of pictures is a regular D8-2U model. 13A's had a different gauge pod arrangement and single seat with wrap around fuel tank. The engine side covers are an optional attachment.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Wish I was close to the Cat in the woods.About a week I would be pushing trees with it.

X Quad Operator

ACcrazy what a fantastic find it's either a Allis-Chalmers AC21, or AC16, I'm leaning towards the AC21 dozer in the late 50's was the hot push cat, I remember a company in california by the name of Riley & sons, construction they teamed the AC21 with the D8-15A and they were pushing fools pushing DW20, and DW21's, both tractors were torque converters models, I think the AC21 it was a far supperior tractor than the D8-15A or the D8-14A dozers, if you had two new tractors one an AC21, and the other a D8-15A, sitting side by side and you told me to pick one I'm positive I'd walk over to the D8-15A dozer. Those pictures of the AC21, it looks like it has a Caterpillar angle dozer on it? Any body know of a equiptment muesium around ACcrazys area that could be contacted, its a shame to let these three tractors sit where nobody can enjoy them and tell stories of the past. Good luck.

Mike Nebergall