• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Are there any companies that aren't Chinese with lower prices?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I am acquiring a commercial lot this week and will be new. I worked at a rental house for 7 years and for the last 13 have sold concrete tools, supplies, and equipment. I am entirely funding this myself so it will be small to start and likely always be smallish.

Just a thought - Is there a market for a construction supply, the concrete tools and supplies you have been selling combined with a small equipment dealership? Wacker would be an excellent choice as they make all sorts of small power tools and a mini + CTL line.

You could sell rebar, wire mesh, chairs, etc along with hand tools. In my area those types of shops must have made money because they have all be bought up by the big guys. Whitecap just bought the last large local company.

Cody01

Just a thought - Is there a market for a construction supply, the concrete tools and supplies you have been selling combined with a small equipment dealership? Wacker would be an excellent choice as they make all sorts of small power tools and a mini + CTL line.

You could sell rebar, wire mesh, chairs, etc along with hand tools. In my area those types of shops must have made money because they have all be bought up by the big guys. Whitecap just bought the last large local company.
Yes thats what I am sort of working on. White Cap isn't too liked by contractors compared to locally owned because White Cap can't deviate from corperate price setting and local guys have some flexibility.

crane operator

There is a guy local to me that used to be a used car dealer. He’s been buying used mini’s and track loaders from united rentals and sunbelt, etc.

He then takes them and paints, fixes any obvious problems (hoses/tires) and resells them.

He says he makes more profit per unit sold/ and doesn’t have to deal with financing like he did with used cars.

So he gets to sell name brand equipment at a discount to new. And he does no after sale repair.

He mostly has bobcat case taki , and gehl units. Even some cats, if he can get them bought right.

Cody01

There is a guy local to me that used to be a used car dealer. He’s been buying used mini’s and track loaders from united rentals and sunbelt, etc.

He then takes them and paints, fixes any obvious problems (hoses/tires) and resells them.

He says he makes more profit per unit sold/ and doesn’t have to deal with financing like he did with used cars.

So he gets to sell name brand equipment at a discount to new. And he does no after sale repair.

He mostly has bobcat case taki , and gehl units. Even some cats, if he can get them bought right.
Thats cool he has a niche like that. I can understand wanting to steer clear of the car stuff. I looked and anything with a title in this state as a dealer requires bonding and reports to the state even on low end used stuff like old atvs or boats.

Welder Dave

Renting larger tools and more specialized tools could be a good option. I had to rent a 1" drive cordless impact and most of the rental outfits didn't have them. I got one from Hertz industrial division. They had a universal and the 1 1/2" socket I needed too. Welder rentals is another good option. It's really hard to rent a Mig welder with a gas cylinder. If you could get set up with a welding supply for gases and cylinders could be lucrative. Same thing with a cutting torch. Good luck trying to rent one with cylinders. You could use propane since it's safer and a lot less expensive. You would want to make sure the renter knew how to use it. Many people would already have a propane BBQ tank they could use and would only need oxygen. I think it would be really hard to be a 1 man show though. If you did deliveries, you'd have to close until you got back. I think you'd get burnt out pretty fast trying to do everything by yourself. Contractors can be a 1 man show because they don't have to run a store.They go to the customers location and other customers can wait to get put on the schedule. Just having someone to answer the phone is a great help.

Cody01

Renting larger tools and more specialized tools could be a good option. I had to rent a 1" drive cordless impact and most of the rental outfits didn't have them. I got one from Hertz industrial division. They had a universal and the 1 1/2" socket I needed too. Welder rentals is another good option. It's really hard to rent a Mig welder with a gas cylinder. If you could get set up with a welding supply for gases and cylinders could be lucrative. Same thing with a cutting torch. Good luck trying to rent one with cylinders. You could use propane since it's safer and a lot less expensive. Many people would already have a propane BBQ tank they could use and would only need oxygen. I think it would be really hard to be a 1 man show though. If you did deliveries, you'd have to close until you got back. I think you'd get burnt out pretty fast trying to do everything by yourself. Contractors can be a 1 man show because they don't have to run a store.They go to the customers location and other customers can wait to get put on the schedule. Just having someone to answer the phone us a great help.
I am hoping to stay mid to higher level items so I am not dealing with quite as many people in a day is my logic for being alone. I do think renting could do well but I worked in rental and didn't like working both days of the weekend and having people destroy your equipment.

Welder Dave

You do realize that whatever you decide to do, you're going to be working long hours and weekends trying to get established. You won't be able to have set hours. You won't necessarily be dealing with customers but with all the other aspects of running a business. Curious how old you are and if you've ever been involved with helping run a business?
You also have to figure out how often your higher level items are going to be needed. You need other stuff too so you always have money coming in. Hard to stay afloat with only a few specialty items.

Last edited:

Cody01

You do realize that whatever you decide to do, you're going to be working long hours and weekends trying to get established. You won't be able to have set hours. You won't necessarily be dealing with customers but with all the other aspects of running a business. Curious how old you are and if you've ever been involved with helping run a business?
You also have to figure out how often your higher level items are going to be needed. You need other stuff too so you always have money coming in. Hard to stay afloat with only a few specialty items.
I've been managing a business for someone else for 13 years. 45 years old. I am paying for everything cash up front no borrying yet so that gives me some flexibility. I know it will be tough but it will be worth it.

crane operator

I rolled by his yard on my way home and took some pictures. He's got 15-20 compact track loaders and a couple mid/smaller excavators right now. The track loaders are $20-$40,000.

He has a assortment of buckets and some mower/trencher attachments also. Being able to sell name brand stuff- with no warranty- that the customer can get his own support for, would be a big plus if you want to be a one man band.

IMG_5348.JPGIMG_5352.JPG

Cody01

I rolled by his yard on my way home and took some pictures. He's got 15-20 compact track loaders and a couple mid/smaller excavators right now. The track loaders are $20-$40,000.

He has a assortment of buckets and some mower/trencher attachments also. Being able to sell name brand stuff- with no warranty- that the customer can get his own support for, would be a big plus if you want to be a one man band.

View attachment 306483View attachment 306484
Thats kind of what I have in mind except I will be doing hoses, fuel pumps, hose reels, and some other stuff. I have 4 acres amd plan on using about 1-1.5 for the business.

suladas

I don't understand the blanket hate of chinese stuff, sure some of it is junk but some is great. The smaller hydraulic breakers are great as well as the plate tampers, fraction of the cost, and way better when most guys don't take care of stuff anyway.

MG84

I don't understand the blanket hate of chinese stuff, sure some of it is junk but some is great. The smaller hydraulic breakers are great as well as the plate tampers, fraction of the cost, and way better when most guys don't take care of stuff anyway.
A lot of us are looking at the bigger picture and not just at the items themselves. There are real and long lasting implications to both the loss of domestic jobs/companies and China's rise to power. Peoples love for cheap crap and lots of it has just been pouring fuel on this fire.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation

Experience - The fact I've been disappointed with cheap Chinese products over the years is the reason I shy away from them.

I've been to China twice, it's not the western world we all know and love.

Cody01

So I been in contact with Kato and something that seems amiss to me is nowhere on facebook or forums or anywhere shows anyone using their smaller excavators or the AS12 narrow skid steer. Is their presence in the U.S. really that poor? I mean my Bobcat dealer in a town of 60,000 has more units on the lot than I can find of pics or video on the entire internet of smaller Kato equipment for some reason.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Never really thought about Kato. Don't they make mini-ex's for other brands? Thought I read that somewhere but could be mistaken.

Here's a Kato dealer in North AL. They list their rental rates, might be of value.

Those smaller tracked dumpers would probably be a big rental item. Willie a fellow Admin here at HEF has experience with tracked dumpers. He might be able to give some insight on them.

Last edited:

Cody01

Never really thought about Kato. Don't they make mini-ex's for other brands? Thought I read that somewhere but could be mistaken.

Here's a Kato dealer in North AL.

They show that they are setup in Kentucky and have some nice looking products. I talked with a rep. It's like they don't even exist though outside of the fact they are based out of Kentucky. I just can't find anyone online using their mini x's or the smaller skid steer. It actually looks like a nice little machine but I don't know if they have ever even sold one.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
From my experience the Japanese equipment I have owned and operated has been top notch. And I mean the Catabishi excavators and small dozers, says Cat on the side but made in Japan.

Might be worth a trip to Kentucky and see them in person.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Interesting niche. I’m seeing many, small, mom&pop, back-yard, side-gig, rental company start ups in my area. Kubota mostly. One guy is using Bobcat gear, but actually opened a store front.

Cody01

Interesting niche. I’m seeing many, small, mom&pop, back-yard, side-gig, rental company start ups in my area. Kubota mostly. One guy is using Bobcat gear, but actually opened a store front.
I think its great. I think it works out better for everyone that way. I been in sales for 14 years now and can tell you the bigger a company is the worse everything gets.