• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

As I promised some of the clearing equipment on MD job

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
It depends which pics your talking about. In the first few there is a wheel loader with a hi-dump bucket. Useful for loader very high trailers or feed mixers(dairies) with light material. The other is a rake/grapple combo. Good for keeping dirt out of the wood pile, either for burning or grinding.

Thanks for that, I really meant the rake/ grapple combo. Is it useful to have? I've only ever seen bucketed machines around here, even when used by bush clearing contractors, I've plenty of protective get ups on wheel loaders, but nothing like that. You see, I want to study forestry engineering, and then go into a similar business to what is happening on your job there, mainly trying to clear invader species of vegetation and also as general lend prep like that. I've been looking around and found many machines like that on this forum, all related to initial land prep, so I am interested in getting one of these attachments for my wheel loaders, when I get them eventually. Is that a JD made attachment?

I don't think your asking about a jd644j. I think your asking about the tigercat wheeled buncher. Its a bunching head for cutting trees down and piling them together for the skidders. They work great on wheeled machines when on fairly level ground.

Thank you, but I really was enquiring about the 644J machine with the rake/grapple combo, not the Tigercat/ JD wheeled feller buncher.

How much is that rake/ grapple combo used, Hoeman?

Last edited:

dirtyducks

Tell me more info on those mobile chippers.They look like they might be the setup in my line on buisness.Who makes them

Bellboy

COPPA
Occupation
Student
Do you mean the trailer rigs? I fits the red one with the conveyor sticking off the one end, then i think its a Morbark(?), looks like one of the larger ones, so I would venture to say that it is probably a 1600 or so. If that's not useful, try this link...
http://www.morbark.com/Equipment/Equipment.htm

One thing that I'm impressed with is that Morbark makes attachments for loaders and excavators, namely debris shears, rotating grapples, and rake/ grapple combos. Anybody know more about these attachments?

hvy 1ton

Tell me more info on those mobile chippers.They look like they might be the setup in my line on buisness.Who makes them
When you say moblie are we talking trailer mounted, tracked, or forwarder mounted? What is line on, are we talking Right of Way clearance?:beatsme

If your wanting a tracked or trailer grinder, i've always heard good things about CBI. I think tonka used to run one and i know trainwreck works with one or two.;)

As for the forwarder mounted ones, there aren't very many factory options. Fecon is working one as mentioned above and there are a couple of european companies that offer them. Other than that its time to break out the welder.:D

dirtyducks

I was talking about the forwarder mounted chipper.My line of buisness is r/w clearing.Powerlines,gaslines,waterlines,etc. I run fecon heads on tigercat 760,726 and hydro ax 721,also have a shinn excavator mounted grinder. I have a chipper that will handle 21 inch material but the forwarder chipper looked like it might work well in swamps and wetlands working off mat roads.

JAK5

I was talking about the forwarder mounted chipper.My line of buisness is r/w clearing.Powerlines,gaslines,waterlines,etc. I run fecon heads on tigercat 760,726 and hydro ax 721,also have a shinn excavator mounted grinder. I have a chipper that will handle 21 inch material but the forwarder chipper looked like it might work well in swamps and wetlands working off mat roads.

I think these units would work very well for you. They were designed specifically to carry a chipper and work off road. Being they are rubber tired instead of tracks they are a lot more agile and have a higher top speed. Give me a call (906)428-5199 or email me (k2mfg@sbcglobal.net) and I can send you information and pictures. Otherwise any FECON rep should be able to help you.

tonka

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Yea i used to run tree grinders, we had a Morbark, Diamond Z, Peterson, and a Hogzilla. I never run one on a chassis though.

JAK5

I think these units would work very well for you. They were designed specifically to carry a chipper and work off road. Being they are rubber tired instead of tracks they are a lot more agile and have a higher top speed. Give me a call (906)428-5199 or email me (k2mfg@sbcglobal.net) and I can send you information and pictures. Otherwise any FECON rep should be able to help you.

I forgot to mention .. go to www.youtube.com and type in "k2 940" it should bring up more pictures of these machines

Deereman

Thanks for that, I really meant the rake/ grapple combo. Is it useful to have? I've only ever seen bucketed machines around here, even when used by bush clearing contractors, I've plenty of protective get ups on wheel loaders, but nothing like that. You see, I want to study forestry engineering, and then go into a similar business to what is happening on your job there, mainly trying to clear invader species of vegetation and also as general lend prep like that. I've been looking around and found many machines like that on this forum, all related to initial land prep, so I am interested in getting one of these attachments for my wheel loaders, when I get them eventually. Is that a JD made attachment?

Thank you, but I really was enquiring about the 644J machine with the rake/grapple combo, not the Tigercat/ JD wheeled feller buncher.

How much is that rake/ grapple combo used, Hoeman?

Bellboy, those brush rakes or grapple rakes are fairly common around here.
A new one would cost I'm guessing around 8-$15,000 new and can find some used between 5 to 10. Mostly sitting on machines between a 544 and 624 and a few 644's. And I couldn't even begin to count how many I have saw on 953s,963, and 655Cs.

grapple1

cool pics, good lookin gear. heard rumour the knuckleboom loaders as ancient of a design as they are, are starting to slowly phase out and the processors are starting to take over. IE: Waratah, Just what I heard today from a guy who covers coast to coast.