• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

ASV PT100 Tach Not Working

ASV Curious

I have a 2008 ASV PT100. Thankfully, I was able to find a wiring diagram on this site which has helped me a lot. Many thanks to whoever posted it! The unit has an "interesting" past and I've spent a lot of time diagnosing and fixing problems and past mistakes. The diagram shows the gray alternator exciter wire and a white wire that only goes to the tach and then the hour meter hooked to the D+ terminal on the alternator. Whoever worked on it in the past had the wiring wrong and they had the white wire on the D terminal and the gray wire on the W terminal and as a result the alternator wasn't charging. When I wired according to the diagram my amp light started working and the battery is staying charged at 13.8 volts. My old tach was completely full of dust and not working so since I was ordering parts I decided to pay the man and get a new factory tach for it. I hooked it up and it wouldn't read anything.

The alternator has a W terminal and I've been told that is used to give a signal to diesel tachs. I guess that terminal outputs AC voltage with a frequency that changes according to RPM and its that frequency that goes through the wire to the tach and it registers the RPM. Because of this research, today I decided to wire the white wire that goes to the tach to the W terminal. When I start the engine now the tach moves but goes up to about 800 RPM and stops. Running the engine revs up and down doesn't do a thing to move the needle. When I turn it off, the needle drops to 0. Then I also started thinking-- if this wire signals the tach using AC voltage how is the hour meter going to work when they are designed to operated on 12V DC??? You gotta have a working hour meter! I have not ran it enough to see if the meter is running off the W terminal because I need a new radiator cap before I can do that (got one on order). I do know the hour meter was registering properly when it was wired according to the diagram.

Very confused and I'm wondering if ASV made an error in their wiring? I did notice in the wiring diagram they got the B and D terminals reversed on the drawing which was probably a simple typo. Only idea I've got is the W terminal may not be changing frequencies and is stuck??? But what about getting 12V DC to the hour meter???

Hope someone out there has lived through this and can help.

L3akaL3

Did you ever figure this out. I'm having similar issues on a new to me PT100 and I'm starting to suspect the schematic is wrong but don't want to experiment and blow something up.
Previous owner put a fuse instead of a diode in the alternator diode spot in the fuse box so I had constant 12 V to a lot of stuff with ignition off. Diode is on order so I'm on hold.
All wires at alternator were disconnected so I took tried wiring according to schematic but that caused white wire to hour meter and tach to always be hot with 12 volts even with ignition off.

Hopefully you'll see this and figured it out. I'm starting to suspect the white wire goes to the W terminal on the alternator.