• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Asv Rc-100

River Hill

Charter Member
Does anyone have thoughts on this machine? What are the pros and cons of a rubber tracked machine, compared to a wheeled skid loader?

mert0714

Charter Member
I don't know about this machine but I was told to stay away from the CAT version of this unless you are in dirt ONLY because any rocks or hard stuff that gets into the track mechanism just was tearing stuff up for them. I know Asv has been around with theirs longer so it may be different.

Otherwise, in general, it think in the same capacities (apples for apples) the track machine is longer. Might be a problem for tight spots. They are great for slopes and low ground pressure (mud or disturbing of grass). Might help keep the mess down. In most cases the lift height is less also (harder to get into a tandem truck). I have heard they are great in dirt, they keep you more level when digging/leveling so it might cut down on some time there. I also heard that they are more suseptable to maintenance issues (with the tracks) and with that comes more expensive bills. Here again, I don't have first hand knowledge but this is what I have heard.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Pros:
Less ground pressure, the machine will do less damage to turf than a wheeled skid steer. It also allows the machinme to work in muddy conditions where the skid steer would be sidelined.

These machines are more stable than a skid steer on uneven ground, and usually have a higher tipping rate than the same sized skid steer.

Cons:
Cost. Quite a bit more expensive than skid steers, plus replacement tracks are expensive too.

I have no first hand experience on the tracked machines, but have talked to colleagues who own them, they love them. These were the Cat machines though, I have no specifics on the ASV model.

ljh2

I'm not sure which specific CAT models you are referring to, but I believe all of the CAT models are also built under agreement by ASV and sold under the CAT name.

larry

trailrunner

the cat and asv's share a similar undercarriage but thats it. Cat MTLs are built right beside there SSL brothern in NC.