• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Ats?

HEO Girl

Here, there, and everywhere in Maine and beyond
Occupation
Fence & Guardrail Installation
So my plan to go to college for heavy equipment operating backfired when I went there Thursday. Turns out they don't have room for me :beatsme. . . So I am a bit lost as to where to turn next :( :Banghead

I was looking into this other school ATS (Heres there website http://www.operator-school.com/). I was just curious if anyone else has attended this school or heard about it? I'd be goin to the one in NH since it's the closest to home. It's wikked expensive so I want to make sure that it would be a good move on my part or if it is just a waste of money. Actually I'm not even sure I can afford it but they say they can give financial assistance.

I'll take any advice anyone has to give right now.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Have you ever thought about doing a Union Apprenticeship?
I know that bringing up a union sometimes is like poking a hornets nest with a stick!
All I'm saying is it can be a option for ya. I don't know how strong the unions are in Maine, or what kinda work is going on there. It would be worth you looking into. For one, it wont cost you a dime, you actually get paid to learn! Pretty tough to beat that!
And you kinda have an ace in the hole, being a young woman, that wants to learn, with a good head on your shoulders. The apprenticeship programs seem to look at women a bit more these days. You seem to know what you want so get out here and take it!
Jason

HEO Girl

Occupation
Actually someone did mention that. But I thought it was for people who knew abit about the industry and heavy equipment. See I love it and all but don't know squat, I really really want to learn though.

If I wanted information on that how would I find a union in my area?

I did a search on google to see if it would come up with anything but didn't get much.

oriden

Occupation
Equipment operator/ truck driver/ wrench operator/
the union is an execlent way if you can get in it was full in my area :(

for the private schools be VERY careful with them! there are alot of them making money simply off of the unemployment office.

i attended one and that happened to be the case, HOWEVER if you do decide to go that route go early stay late and be even more intrested then usual, the teachers have alot of guys (and girls ***) go through there and only the ones that stand out will get what they really need.

if nothing pans out try the colllage for next intake date, this could give time for saving more money, youll need it! as well the work isnt very plentiful at the moment any ways

i did attend one of these schools and lost my job because of pulled contracts so be carefull before you do any thing, or youll end up back on freezer night shift :(

good luck! and tell us what you decided!

HEO Girl

Occupation
Awww that sucks oriden, I hope everything turns out ok in the end for you.

Ok I've thought up a game plan!

Plan A: I found another college (well turbo suggested it to me), It's Penn. College of Technology. They seem to have an awesome program. However I applied wikked late . . . I'm not sure if I'll even get in, but I applied anyways. We will see. If worse comes to worse and I don't get a dorm room I guess I could always live in my truck for a semester and try again for the dorms next semester. Hahaha.

Plan B: If this college falls through, I'll try for the union around here to get into their apprenticeship program. There application period starts in Nov. I guess . . .

If that doesn't work! Well I'm screwed for a year . . . Plan C would be keep workin my 2 jobs I got now . . How fun! not

Last edited:

992G

HEO Girl,
How is the construction work in your neck of the woods? Is one of your two jobs in construction? Even though you want to run equipment, if you have to be a laborer for a little bit, thats one way of working your way up the ladder. Lots of people have started that way, it would be somewhat of getting your foot in the door.

xcavate

HEO Girl

You can look at Wentworth Institue of Tech in Boston,MA. They have classes in both civil engineering and Construction Management. I went for construction management and now am a project manager/estimator in the sitework field. Its a good school and well known in are area.

I actually started as a surveyor and when people didnt show up they needed someone to fill in and thats how I got started.

HEO Girl

Occupation
HEO Girl

You can look at Wentworth Institue of Tech in Boston,MA. They have classes in both civil engineering and Construction Management. I went for construction management and now am a project manager/estimator in the sitework field. Its a good school and well known in are area.

I actually started as a surveyor and when people didnt show up they needed someone to fill in and thats how I got started.
I have no idea. I'd have to ask my dad he works for one.

I wish one of those jobs was in construction, I wouldn't mind being a laborer, I'd take that in a heartbeat. I tried to get into where my dad works this summer but his boss just couldn't do it with the way things are.

I cashier and bag your groceries, or work in a gift shop :tong. Being a laborer would be 100x better then what I do now.

I actually tried to get onto one of the little lobster boats for work also, but that fell through for me and my buddy Matt

HEO Girl

That could be another route I could take. I'd rather hold off and wait a year then go for construction management though.

Last edited:

xcavate

I highly recommend a 4 yr degree in construction management. Being an operator or laborer is nice but later in life when you want to be the boss the degree will come in really handy.

You will hit a ceiling in your pay scale being an operator instead of being a superintendent or project manager someday which pays way more.

I actually think running the machine is the easy part. Doing layout, shooting grades, figuring out the proper sequence to do the work in is the hard part. The more one person can do the more valuable he is to the company.

I survey,project manage, draw asbuilts, estimate, purchasing etc... This has helped me keep working in these tough times because I can do more then one thing.

I know a guy that did the ATS class in NH. After he spent thousands of dollars he was no better on the machines (he still dint know how to position the machine correctly) and was only slightly better with shooting grades (he only knew how to read a rod in inches not tenths). I think its a waste of money for how much they charge.

HEO Girl

Occupation
Ya, I keep hearing bad things about that school. . . So I don't think I'm going to go that route.

You make a very good point though. . . So many decisions to make and so little time! Ugh. I'll have to look into this construction management thing a little bit more. I told myself I didnt want to be in school for 8 years, haha that's just about what this is turning into.

N.CarolinaDozer

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
Heo Girl, I went to A.T.S. in Lecanto,FL. The only thing that school is good for is the certification. No companies would hire me in N.C., so I decided to go to school. It was ok, but try to find a company that will let you train on-site.

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
HEO Girl have u taken the free online quiz/class that ATS has. i took it and it helped a little bit especially with the equipment i haven't run before. i figured it couldn't hurt since i'm going to try to go there this winter when it's my slow time.

later814

HEO Girl... Penn College in Williamsport has a great program. I am based in Philly and know many people in the industry including my company that actively recruit there. It's a well respected program and they are well networed with contractors in Philly, Harrisburg and Pittsburgh.

jasen004

I'm a graduate of Pennsylvania College of Technolgy out of Williamsport, PA. I was enrolled in there Heavy equipment operator technology program from 2007-2009. I had a 1 year wait to get into the program because it is such a good program and there is very few seats. At the beginng of my degree in August of 2006 there was about 28 or 30 of us, and in May of 2009 there was only about 17 of us and more kids who failed classes. All I can say its a great program, I got a good job operating out of there, but I also was in a Heavy equipment program in high school so I had 4 years of operating in a educational enviroment for my resume. You will learn a hell of alot of knowledge probably 10 times more then ATS because you actually get a college degree either a A.A.S. or if you want a B.S but the rest of the curriculm for the bachelor program is all mangement ********. And the best part is, is its a Penn State affiliate, which = a diploma from Penn State. Get your name on the list you might have a 2 year wait, I had a 1 year wait between high school and going there. Also there is plenty of off campus housing there, I never lived on campus and I HIGHLY advise you dont. Just a few thing to mention if you do, they check to see if your under the influence past 10 PM, no drinking, no smoking in the dorms, random room checks. If you live off campus like I did the whole time there you will have zero worries, believe me.

dirthog

Occupation
heavy equipment mechanic
Penn College

There is a great school when I went there a long time ago, we did most of the dirt work for the campus at Allenwood if that tells you who long ago:eek: They had some great teachers but no money for equipment and supplies now with them being part of Penn State that is not the case they are one of the better programs in the country and there placement rate for new graduates is very high.

D155

Occupation
Rental Agent
I went to Penn College of Technology from 1996-1997. Great program. Would recommend it to anyone. I worked as an operator for the last dozen years. At the end of last year due to some health issues(and the lack of work in my area), I got into a Komatsu dealer running their rental department. School can only help you get ahead.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Just a stupid question, but why in the world would any one PAY for training that can be obtained for free? Forget about a "school" and just go out looking for a job! Get into an apprenticeship program, or just keep bugging a super about a job! F school and just use that good ole American Go Get Em Attutide! Judas Priest, it cant be that hard!
Jason