• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

attn: grader/blade operators

9420pullpan

i have @ 1000hrs on a blade i have a good feel for it im trying to improve they way that i go about moving the material. i was wondering if you can help me with some operating techniques. i do alot of finish work for the small company that i work for so any tips or addvice would be greatly appreciated....

Cam7775

Occupation
Gravel road tech
go slw take yor time keep the controls close to you and don't mess with the dirt to much

but most important thing is to take your time:thumbsup

Grader4me

i have @ 1000hrs on a blade i have a good feel for it im trying to improve they way that i go about moving the material. i was wondering if you can help me with some operating techniques. i do alot of finish work for the small company that i work for so any tips or addvice would be greatly appreciated....

What areas are you having problems with?

9420pullpan

first of all Cat blades all the way

for instance yesterday i went to a new job with 4 inlets and a high point in the middle of the road and i know to keep my runs long but it is hard for me to define the ridge points by making those long runs. its easier for me to dish out the inlets first then make longer runs touching it up.

like if you had a parking lot with inlets flowlines high points you would start at the lowest pints and work your way to the high points right?

Last edited:

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
We can tell you everything you need to know, but not all of it will work for you. you have to find the tricks that work for you. some operators dont feel comfortable doing things a certain way

When I build a lot like that, ( which I just finished today as a matter) go about defining my low points, usually a catchbasin, and then work up from there. the low points I find are the most Important because thats where you want to end up. push out ward and up ward till I get to my high point. If I several of them I work them in sections, first one then the next, as long as I can keep up to the trucks hauling in material. Once I have all the gravel in and I kinda like how it is starting to look, then I back up to the start and make the long passes that go from ent to end. Its always nice to carry about half a blade of gravel, which I find helps at the top of the highpoint, rounding them off a little, making a smoother ride. it is also nicer for the guys on the back of the Paver, which sometimes cannot make the change that fast.

Remember: the only good Case is a Case of whisky.:bouncegri

9420pullpan

thank you for the help i think that is my problem im trying to make those long passes when i actually need to define the low areas before i make the long passes....

i like the the case saying as well!!!

Blademan

Charter Member
Occupation
Operating Engineer
first of all Cat blades all the way

for instance yesterday i went to a new job with 4 inlets and a high point in the middle of the road and i know to keep my runs long but it is hard for me to define the ridge points by making those long runs. its easier for me to dish out the inlets first then make longer runs touching it up.

like if you had a parking lot with inlets flowlines high points you would start at the lowest pints and work your way to the high points right?

As mentioned above , it's a tough call to give specific advice of a job without actually seeing it . Way too many variables , and it's rare to find two operators that do things the same .
That said , I can share some advice or tips of things I've learned along the way .

I can concur with the good advice already given . Take your time . Patience really is the virtue of a good finisher , and that saying of experience is the best teacher is so true . One of the best grader operators I've ever had the privilage to have worked and learned from once told me that he only really felt 100% confident after about 7 years of finishing under his belt . It really blew my mind at the time , but as I too get older and more experienced , I appreciate him saying it more and more .
Visualization is also very important . Try and picture what it should look like when it's finished . It really helps to have a mental picture as a goal to achieve . Again , this takes time and experience , for some it takes a lot longer to grasp then others .
Professionalism . My personal pet peeve is getting into a machine thats filthy . I've seen machines that you can barely see daylight thru the windows and the stench of rotting month old lunches is over powering . How can you finish if you can't see and you're struggling to breath ? To me , being a professional is about having a great work ethic and having good habits . Strive to keep your work area clean . Neat and tidy makes work less stressful . This also includes daily fluid checks . I alternate doing the windows one day and greasing the next while it's either warming up in the morning or when refueling . Also , I usually give most surfaces in the cab a quick wipe down during those rare times you find waiting for something or someone . Oh , and I usually sweep up the floor when waiting for it to cool down before I shut it off . If you do it regularly and make it a habit , you'd be surprised at how little time it actually takes to keep it clean and a somewhat more healthy environment to live in . Think about it this way , I'm in that thing 10-13 hours per day , 5-7 days a week . It's almost more time then spend at home so "living" in a clean machine has got to be better for me then if I breathed dust and dirt and crap all day .
Well , I may chime in with more later , but Im done for now :sleeping
As mentioned in the above post that I should reiterate is that what works for one guy or gal doesn't always for another . Having a good attitude helps , as does being able to turn a big challenge into usable product .
Anyway , sorry I can't be more help with your parking lot issue , and for the length of my ramblings:sleeping

Cheers ,

Rob

Grader4me

thank you for the help i think that is my problem im trying to make those long passes when i actually need to define the low areas before i make the long passes....

i like the the case saying as well!!!

The most important part of being a good grader operator is having a good eye. If you can define your low and high areas (some can't) then that is half the battle.
Now you have to figure out what would be your best method to tackle the job that you mentioned.
Look your job over carefully and mark your high/low spots (use a stake or something) then fix these places up first. By doing it this way you know that when making your long passes it won't be nessacary to make major adjustments on your moldboard when you come to these spots.
Now that you have the high/low spots fixed up you can make your long passes keeping a consistant/even flow.
Having said that, as stated from the other guy's, everyone has their own method of doing things.

Wulf

Professionalism . My personal pet peeve is getting into a machine thats filthy . I've seen machines that you can barely see daylight thru the windows and the stench of rotting month old lunches is over powering . How can you finish if you can't see and you're struggling to breath ?

Apologies to pullpan for this bit of a thread hijack... imagine a tech trying to troublehoot a machine like this, pulling out the seat or console to find mouldy food, crap and who knows what all over the place. I actually recall mice living in one guys cab and gnawing through all the wiring when the food wasn't even fit for them to eat...

9420pullpan

im similar to blademan i hate a machine that is dirty the problem i face is that we rent everything usually it is a cat 140H we also have on a years lease. but if i know the machine will be leaving the next day i will clean the windows i did this the morning i was doin that parking lot. im not sure if many amateurs operators such as me reflect back to the jobs that they have finished and think about how they could have done it in a more productive manner. but i do that constantly.

one thing i did not include about this specific job is my superintendant there was not a foreman one the job. my superintendant is a big pain in my....... the first thing i did before the blade showed up was look at the plans and then proceeded to help my laborer check grade to give me a better picture of this job. rain was on its way late that afternoon so it was important to get it to drain and get it close. so when the blade showed up the super was telling me to get in the blade and move some dirt i told him that i was goin to continue to check grade until i felt confident that i knew where everything was. we also had very shallow storm within a foot of subgrade. then he basically said f you and hoped in that blade and started cutting areas where there were fills this didnt make sense to me bc i dont want to move dirt more than once so on and so forth he basically destroyed my system and placed dirt where it didnt have to be to balance it out. i didnt get back in to my grove until noon. is see what he was trying to do move material fast but if you have to move it twice it doesnt make sense. basically was i wrong??

thanks for the help guys!

plowking740

Occupation
Equipment operator
Sounds like my Foreman. I like him and we have fun working together and do some wicked tonnages in a day, but I have never seen an operator make such a mess of a job so fast. I just never thought it was possible.

I had to do some work with the hoe one day so he sait he could run the grader for the afternoon. Not a good Idea. I spent half of the next day fixing his stuff up and also doing my job.

I find it allways to be a pain to pull on to someone elses job or to take over for someone else. even for a day it seems hard to get up to speed on what the other operator was doing.

Grader4me

one thing i did not include about this specific job is my superintendant there was not a foreman one the job. my superintendant is a big pain in my....... the first thing i did before the blade showed up was look at the plans and then proceeded to help my laborer check grade to give me a better picture of this job. rain was on its way late that afternoon so it was important to get it to drain and get it close. so when the blade showed up the super was telling me to get in the blade and move some dirt i told him that i was goin to continue to check grade until i felt confident that i knew where everything was. we also had very shallow storm within a foot of subgrade. then he basically said f you and hoped in that blade and started cutting areas where there were fills this didnt make sense to me bc i dont want to move dirt more than once so on and so forth he basically destroyed my system and placed dirt where it didnt have to be to balance it out. i didnt get back in to my grove until noon. is see what he was trying to do move material fast but if you have to move it twice it doesnt make sense. basically was i wrong??

thanks for the help guys!

I think that I might have misunderstood your senerio. You was not wrong on your approach to this. You was taking your time to get a feel of the job that you had to do. Just like Rob said, get a picture of what you want it to look like and that is what you were doing. Sometimes this takes time and patience.
Sounds like you have it together...to bad your superintendant doesn't.

9420pullpan

well that makes me feel a lil better bc at least some people thing that what i am doin is the right way to do it even though it may take me checking grade for an hour to see what i have to do..

thanks again guy really appreciate it

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I generally work alone when finish grading but I have found for me at least that getting the grade real close with the dozer first pays big dividends in a couple of ways.It is much easier for me to pull my stations getting on and off of a dozer rather than climbing up and down out of the grader,of course I can see the grade stakes better down low as well and when I finally do have to finish up with the grader there is not a lot to do.
In my experience a grader without all wheel drive will sometimes spin the wheels when the moldboard has too much in it and the last thing you need is digging a hole in compacted process:Banghead .
I always try to get a helper on the last day to help me lift the water/gas boxes and make a sawcut if it is needed but getting the job prepared properly with the dozer seems to have worked well for me in the past.Ron G

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Pull
IMO you where in the right, but you have to remember who you work for too. I have had plenty of supers like yours and most of the time its better to do it there way. I'm always playing catch up moving for one job to the next sometimes daily. And I'll get on my machine with no clue what’s going on fine a place to start moving dirt that looks safe. Let my labor/grade checker get the low down and see what needs to be done after 20-30mins. of me "working" I'll stop and get the low down from him. Sometimes it doesn't work that way, but most of the time it keeps my supers off my back.

Dusty

Charter Member
i had a boss pull that ill go it crap i had grade all done all it needed was a little finish work up against the house but the boss had a dingo and wasent going to use a shovel lets just say i got to start all over again with grade thanks to his lazy ars i have never seen someone make such a big mess with a small machine

9420pullpan

well like i said i appreciate all the advice i will keep trying to make the big wigs happy and i quess all i can do i to keep my behind in that seat and try and picture what im doing and try to do it in an efficent manner...

thanks everyone

9420pullpan

well today on the same job that i described we hired a new grade checker/setter and he was extremely helpful on giving me some advice on how to go about certain things.

what a big differance it makes having a GOOD grade checker