• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Austin Western Grade

I recently purchased a Austin Western Grader s/n 5529, gas engine, motor number EUBHM14978; Under Motor ID IU4EUBH1873.
I believe it is a 1947 model(not sure) it is missing a starter. I need to locate one, I believe the fly wheel is U shape.

Can someone help me. All help is appreciated.

skyking1

that is a crappy situation Floyd. I would take some pictures to help out the search process. Another angle to pursue is to find another one for sale, and get info from that seller.

caseloader

What motor is it? Some of them had IH diesels in them, so IF its an IH gas motor,---possible WD-9 if 4 cylinder.
tractor_parts_logo.jpg

might try these guys for parts.

What motor is it? Some of them had IH diesels in them, so IF its an IH gas motor,---possible WD-9 if 4 cylinder.
tractor_parts_logo.jpg

might try these guys for parts.
Thank you for this information. Not sure on the manufacturer. I will also be taking pictures and adding them to this thread some time today.
The Motor# EUBHM14978

that is a crappy situation Floyd. I would take some pictures to help out the search process. Another angle to pursue is to find another one for sale, and get info from that seller.
Ok, I will try and locate someone trying to sell for more information. I'll be taking pictures and uploading to this thread sometime today.

caseloader

Is it a single drive or tandem? also is it model 99? One I found had a 414 ih motor in it, several have 3-71 Detroits in them. Cant find one with a gas motor in it,--still lookin!

It is a single drive axel-- I do not know what model it is --all i know is the S/N 5529 on the grader --
Do not know what the Manufactor of the engine is but the S/N is EUBHM14978 or FUBHM14978
I saw a video on Yesterday Tractor refer ref to one that looks exactly like it > I called them several days ago and they was not able to help me. hope someone out there that can tell
me where to get a starter thanks

I have sent the pictures, in my research I think the model of the grader is a 55. The serial number is 55298. The motor # has an international stamp and its either a EUBHM14978 or an FUBHM14978, then under the motor it identifies as an IU4EUBH1H31873. I would appreciate any help in finding a starter for this machine. There is no starter and was missing with purchase.

skyking1

Nice grader and thanks for the pictures. I would measure the distance between hole centers and that diameter of that bore and also set a straight edge over the face of the casting and measure the depth of the face of the flywheel.
If you get those things and then how far that hole is offset from the edge of the flywheel you can figure out something that will fit.
That may ultimately be easier than finding a part number, because after finding the part number you may have a heck of a time finding the part.
With so many of these old machines we keep them going by having the core and getting it rebuilt, rather than finding another one.

caseloader

That IS an IH motor! Look for starter out of a M to start with. Looks like a M tractor motor OR power unit . WD-9 is probably the same starter, have to check the drive pinion for tooth size and nose cone size.
Also looks like They just set an ih power unit on it. Hood, radiator, air cleaner, etc, so starter not hard to get.

JaredV

Neat little grader. If you go the tractor starter route, watch out that it's not for a tractor with the starter that sits behind the engine over or before the clutch housing pointing forward. Those would turn backwards for a standard starter position. It's possible a starter for an IH pickup/2-ton truck might fit and those are easily found new.

Last edited: