• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Auto slack adjuster overtightens

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Lift axle on a KW

After a few hours on the road, the slack adjuster will over tighten itself to the point you can't turn the wheel by hand.

The other mechanic changed out the adjuster but it's doing the same thing.

I won't have time to look at it till tomorrow night and was just wondering if someone else has run into this?

Ronsii

Occupation
s/e Heavy equipment operator
I wonder if the other mechanic rechecked with the install tool? or maybe the sleeves on the s-cam shaft are very worn...

Haven't run into it myself but there can't bee too many reasons why it would tighten up.

RobVG

Occupation
17 excavators and a stewpot of other stuff
Yeah it's a haldex. It has the pointer and the notch

walkerv

Haldex genuine are pretty much fool proof, they work or they dont . Aftermarket copies i have had terrible problems with, if the anchor has got the pointer pulled all the way back to the physical stop which should have the pointer in the notch at that point it should be fine, excessive play in the foundation and improperly set anchor will both cause an bass ache.